CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1281276
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281276.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:42:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Harwich
National Grid Reference:
TM 26116 32584

Details

HARWICH

TM2632NW CHURCH STREET 609-1/2/32 (North East side) 25/09/51 Church of St Nicholas

GV II*

Church. Consecrated 1822, east end re-ordered 1897. By MG Thompson. Perpendicular style. MATERIALS: Gault brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings and Coade stone pinnacles, cast-iron tracery and columns. Slate roof. PLAN: hall church with 5-bay nave and 2-storey aisles. EXTERIOR: square west tower with west doors, flanked by entrance bays containing the stairs to tower and galleries. Canted east end with single-storey vestries to each side. 3-light Perpendicular-style windows throughout. 3-stage tower with panelled polygonal buttresses surmounted by crocketed pinnacles, embattled parapet and stone spire. Clock faces to stone panels beneath bellstage openings. Panelled buttresses and ashlar embattled parapets to entrance bays. Buttresses with crocketed pinnacles and brick parapets to aisles. Upper tier of aisle windows on sill string course, lower tier are basket-arched. INTERIOR: gallery staircases have ramped and wreathed handrail, stick balusters and column newels. Quatrefoil piers to nave arcade. Vault shafts rise to the groin vaulted ceiling with foliate bosses. Flat ceilings to aisles with crossed ribs. Galleries to both aisles and west end, frontal carved with cusped arcading on foliate corbels. Upper tier of iron galleries in Gothic style at west end known as 'cages'. FITTINGS: box pews to nave and galleries, doors removed for most part. Organ on west gallery by Flight and Robson. East end raised on step 1897 with new stalls, contemporary pulpit. Altar rail with iron cusped arches may predate this. Painted Paternoster and Commandment boards in Gothic reredos. MEMORIALS: fine marble wall tablet of 1666 to Sir William Clarke on north side with paved composite columns, broken swan neck pediment with bust and cartouche below. C18 marble wall tablets to Mary Leach and Sarah Bridge. Large collection of early C19 grey and black marble wall tablets, notably to Cox, Hopkins and Bridge families. Early C19 stained glass to east windows. Royal Arms of George IV on west gallery. C13 Purbeck font on restored base. HISTORICAL NOTE: Chapel of Ease to Church of All Saints Dovercourt until 1871. Stands on site of chapel founded c1210 by Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, which was said to have been extremely dilapidated in 1819. The present structure cost »20,000 raised by subscription and rate. The accounts for the Coade pinnacles of 1821 survive. (Kelly A: Mrs Coade's Stone: London: 1990-: 348; Whites Directory: 1863-: 525-6; Kelly's Directory: 1886-: 166; Kelly's Directory: 1899-: 209).

Listing NGR: TM2611632584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366499
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kelly, A, Mrs Coades Stone, (1990), 348
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1886), 166
'Whites Directory' in Essex, (1863), 525-6
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1899), 209

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07503/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].