This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1280727



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Portland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 381924

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SY6871 CHURCH OPE ROAD, Easton 969-1/4/32 (South side) 16/01/51 Rufus Castle with bridge


Formerly known as: Bow and Arrow Castle CHURCH OPE ROAD. Castle. Present structure probably late C15, on site of earlier building captured in 1142 by Earl Robert of Gloucester. The approach bridge and present entry archway are C19, and were already here in 1842. Squared and snecked Portland stone, unroofed. An irregular pentagon with remains of an outer bailey contained by remaining section of wall to SW; connected by lofty C19 round-arched bridge to high land across Church Ope Road, to the north. Remaining keep has C19 round-arched entry across this bridge; walls have many regularly-spaced putlog holes. The 'Tudor' arched entry to the SW was inserted by John Penn, of the adjacent Pennsylvania Castle. There are a few remaining stones of the former machicolation on the W and N walls, and the walls generally run to full height, but some of the SE wall has fallen away. The N and W walls also have series of round gun-ports, with embrasures behind. RCHM notes chamfered stone jamb of SE doorway. The outer bailey wall follows the land slope, and is from c 1m to c 1.5m high, to rounded coping. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 252-4; Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Newman J: Dorset: London: 1972-1989: 342).

Listing NGR: SY6975771175

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 252-4
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 342

National Grid Reference: SY 69757 71175


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2018 at 02:45:40.

End of official listing