PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1280043
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, REDDENHILL ROAD
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ST ALBANS ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280043.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:30:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, REDDENHILL ROAD
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ST ALBANS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92476 65274

Details

TORQUAY

SX9265 ST ALBANS ROAD, Babbacombe 885-1/12/318 (East side) 20/11/52 Parish Church of All Saints

I

Parish church. 1868-74 to the designs of William Butterfield. Snecked local grey limestone rubble; yellow sandstone dressings; natural slate roof with crested ridge tiles; porch roof with bands of slate and lead. PLAN: Nave; chancel; north and south aisles; south-east transept; north-east vestry; south-west porch. EXTERIOR: North side has a 6-bay aisle with buttresses with set-offs and gables. Decorated-style traceried windows, paired in one bay, with a variety of head tracery forms; western bay with more domestic 2-light window. 4 gabled quatrefoil clerestoried windows (post Butterfield). Gabled vestry in the form of a transept with a large chimneystack on the east side and a sexagonal turret with a pyramidal stone roof with a carved finial. Turret integrated with lean-to porch with shouldered doorway; original door. 3-centred arched doorway on north side with 2 unglazed quatrefoil windows and 3-light traceried windows above. Buttressed chancel, the east wall decorated with diapering of stone quatrefoils; 5-light traceried east window with shafts on mullions. The south return of the chancel is decorated with stone lattice work and 2 vessica windows. The south side is the show front, the south transept with a gabled buttress between 2-light traceried windows. 4-bay south aisle with lean-to roof; traceried Decorated windows; 4 clerestory windows match those on the north. South-west porch with hipped roof and set back gabled buttresses. Moulded outer and inner doorways, the outer doorway with engaged shafts with a recessed panel of stone diapering above the arch. 2-leaf inner door with original ornamental strap hinges. 4-stage west tower with a stone spire with tall louvred lucarnes; projecting south-east 5-sided stair turret; set back buttresses rise to belfry stage. Richly-moulded cinquefoil-headed west doorway with original ironwork to the doors. Tall 2-light traceried window above that, 2 cusped roundels. Diaper stone work below belfry stage with a vessica window. 3-light Geometric Decorated traceried belfry window with marble panels below the sill, upper tier of belfry diapered. INTERIOR: Spectacular for its elaborate surface treatment and constructional polychromy. Arcades with cylindrical marble columns and double-chamfered arches. Arcade walls with septfoils in the spandrels, covered with a lattice of blind tracery over patterned brick and tiles. Nave and chancel roofs 5-sides with painted decoration; aisle roofs with stone ribs and paired rafters. Large 2-light traceried arches between chancel aisles and chancel. Chancel described by Goodhart-Rendel as "beyond all praise in its inspired strangeness" (quoted in Pevsner) with a marble dado and diapered walls; marble floor; aumbry and sedilia; painted ceiling. FITTINGS: Marble reredos integral with east wall decoration with a cinquefoil-headed recess for a metal crucifix. Lectern, candlesticks and altar cross 1871 by Butterfield. Chancel mosaics by Salviati. Metalwork includes 7 elaborate hanging lamps; processional cross. Nave fittings include an openwork pulpit of tiers of shafts and arcades and an extraordinary polychromatic marble font with tiers of arcading on shafts. Other fittings include a large cope chest. Various C19 wall monuments of interest at the east end of the north aisle; memorial brass to Anna Maria Hanbury, d.1877, to the designs of Butterfield. 1874 east window by Gibbs. Described in Pevsner as "one of Butterfield's most important churches". (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.848).

Listing NGR: SX9247665271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390780
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 848
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 848

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08341/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].