PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT EDWARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1278555
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT EDWARD, THE SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:52:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT EDWARD, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Corfe Castle
National Grid Reference:
SY 96056 82050

Details

CORFE CASTLE THE SQUARE (South side ) SY 96 82 7/125 Parish Church of Saint Edward 20.11.59 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Tower C15, rest rebuilt 1860, architect T H Wyatt, incorporating some medieval fragments. Rubble stone walls with ashlar dressings, slate roofs with coped gables. Separate pitched roofs to nave and aisles. Nave, north and south aisles of 4 bays, with clerestory. Chancel with north and south aisles of 2 bays, and projecting sanctuary; west tower, south porch. Tower, of 3 stages, has diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth. Semi-octagonal stair turret on north. Battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Moulded string course below this, with carved gargoyles. 2-light square-headed belfry windows. Main west window of 3 lights, with intersecting tracery. West door has straight-sided arch in square frame with shields in spandrels flanked by canopied niches on carved head corbels. In south aisle wall, two 2-light windows with plate tracery and a 3-light window with geometrical tracery. In south chancel aisle wall a shouldered arched doorway, 2 lancets and a 3-light window with geometrical tracery. 2-light square headed windows in north and south walls of sanctuary. East window with intersecting tracery and battlemented transome. In north aisle, blocked doorway with 2-light window above, 2 lancets and 3-light window with geometrical tracery. North porch has pointed arched doorway with shafts of C12 character. Internally, chancel has arch-braced collar beam roof. Chancel arcades in C13 style, with clustered Purbeck marble columns. In north wall, re-set lancet, and C14 doorway below it (these now internal), and blocked C13 doorway in south wall. Arch-braced scissor roof to nave. Nave arcades with circular columns and stiff-leaf caps - one of these early C13 - re-used. Tower arch has shafts with moulded caps, and 4 carved heads. In tower, 2 fragments of carved C15 Purbeck marble. Other medieval fragments loose in church. In north chancel aisle 2 C15 inscribed wall tablets, and one of 1686. Painted Royal Arms of Charles II over north door. Good wall monument of 1677 west of this. C15 octagonal font, Purbeck marble, with panelled sides. (RCHM, Monument 1. Dorset. Vol.II. Buildings of England. Dorset. Newman and Pevsner).

Listing NGR: SY9605682050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
109277
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06634/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].