This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1278444

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ellastone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405742

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 14 SW ELLASTONE C.P. CHURCH LANE (East side)

5/56 Church of St. Peter

12/1/66

GV II*

Parish Church. West tower dated 1586, chancel dated 1588, nave and North aislerebuilt 1830.Ashlar; clay tile roof with crested ridge tiles. West tower with diagonal buttresses, nave with south porch, North aisle, chancel and North chapel with West tower: 3 stages; dated ANNO DOMINI 1586 above segmental pointed West doorway with returned hood mould; West window above of 3 trefoiled lights and panel tracery above, hood mould terminating in animal heads; oblong aedicule to first stage of south side flanked by bracketed fluted pilasters with full entablature, frieze inscribed "KNOWE THY SELFFE"; sundial above; second stage blank except for south side which has a window with Y-tracery, the upper light blind; clock to west side; belfry openings of 2 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoil above, and hood mould over; crenellated parapet. Nave and North aisle: Rebuilt 1830; pointed windows with cusped Y-tracery and returned hood moulds; Gabled South porch with pointed doorway of 2 arches flanked by gabled angle buttresses; nook shafts with roll and fillet moulding; hood mould terminating in heads of a bishop and a queen. Chancel and North chapel: South side has a square headed window to right of 3 transomed lights with basket arch heads and panel tracery over, ovolo moulded jambs and head; central square headed door with frieze dated 1588 between a shaped hood mould and an enriched band; wall memorial to left consisting of aedicule with bracketed base and moulded pilasters to full entablature with enriched frieze. 2 East windows, one to chancel and one to North chapel, both round headed of 3 transomed lights with trefoiled heads and perpendicular tracery above; Bernard Granville Memorial in centre: Bernard Granville. died 1775; ashlar aedicule on top of chest tomb and against east wall, enriched pilasters with scrolls to outside, fluted frieze, segmental headed pediment, triangular slab above with drapery motif and shield within a garland; Inscription within aedicule; grandson of Sir Bevil Granville the hero of the civil war Battle of Lansdown. Interior: North arcade of 2i pointed arches on octagonal piers and moulded capitals; pointed chancel arch supported by semi-octagonal engaged columns with crenallated moulded capitals decorated with ballflower; chamfered tower arch; nave roof has arch braced collars carrying a collar purlin; hammer beam chancel roof with arch braced collars, ridge piece and one pair of purlins. Fittings: Stone font with octagonal stepped base and octagonal bowl; C19 octagonal wooden pulpit with blind traceried panels. Monuments: North chapel: Badly mutilated alabaster chest tomb, probably C16, with 2 reclining figures on top, a man and a woman, her head resting on 2 cushions, the north side and each end of the chest have carved shields bearing heraldic arms, the south side is decorated with bird motifs; wall memorial to John Granville, died 1800, marble aedicule with reeded pilasters and moulded cornice surmounted by an urn with feathered base, and draped with a cloth; polished limestone wall memorial to Thomas Fleetwood died 1735, and Robert and Ellena Allen died 1713, double aedicule with fluted pilasters, bracketed base and moulded cornice. North aisle: James Unwin memorial died 1776, marble plaque capped by a gadrooned urn; I.W.E. Wheeler memorial, died 1818, marble plaque with heraldic shield above.

Listing NGR: SK1168043450

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 11680 43450

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:57:50.

End of official listing