This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1278008

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN, NOTTINGHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Broxtowe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Trowell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429791

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 43 NE TROWELL NOTTINGHAM ROAD (south side)

6/67 Church of St. Helen 13.10.66 G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15. Restored 1836 and by Hodgson Fowler, 1890. Coursed and squared rubble, ashlar and dressed stone. Gabled and lean-to plain tile and felt roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths. Moulded eaves. Nave and chancel have coped east gables with crosses. Windows all restored. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C15, 2 stages, has moulded string course and eaves, crenellated parapet and 4 corner buttresses. First stage has to south, door, and to west, transomed triple lancet, C15, with panel tracery and hood mould. Second stage has on each side a rectangular opening and above it a cusped transomed double lancet with hood mould and lintel band. To north, clock removed from Nottingham Exchange. Rebuilt clerestory has moulded parapet and rainwater heads dated 1836. On each side, 3 double lancets, C16 style, with coved reveals. North aisle, 3 bays, rebuilt late C19, has 3 buttresses. West end has double lancet, C15, with panel tracery and square headed reveal. North side has to east, 2 similar lancets. To west, chamfered C13 blocked door with hood mould. East end has triple lancet, C16, with Tudor arched reveal and hood mould. South aisle, 3 bays, C15, restored, has 3 buttresses. East end has triple lancet similar to north aisle. South side has to east 2 C19 double lancets with panel tracery and splayed reveals. West end has a similar window. Chancel, C13, 2 bays. North side has a buttress. To west, C13 blocked door with imposts, flanked by single C13 lancets on different levels. All have hood moulds. East end has 2 flanking buttresses and C19 triple lancet, C15 style, with panel tracery and hood mould. South side has off-centre buttress and to west, C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and square headed reveal. To east, C15 double lancet with panel tracery and moulded reveal. South porch, C13, has plain south doorway with imposts. Interior has painted barrel vault with chamfered ribs. Inner doorway, C19, Tudor arched and with hood mould. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, with conical imposts, contains C20 organ loft and gallery. Nave arcades, early C14, 3 bays, have unusual broached octagonal bases and moulded capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with conical imposts. Low pitched C19 purlin roof. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with carved bosses to east. North aisle has stained glass War Memorial window by P. & Q, c.1950. South aisle has memorial window, 1916. Chancel arch matches tower arch and has C20 traceried screen with cross. East end has early C20 gradine and traceried panelled reredos. Stained glass window by Kempe, 1892. South side has to east, superimposed rebated C13 aumbry and piscina. To its right, cusped and moulded sedilia, C13. C19 matchboarded barrel vaulted roof with arch braces on corbels. Fittings include C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil and crenellated bands. C18 side table. C19 octagonal panelled pulpit and lectern with flying buttresses. Early C20 stalls and desks. Late C19 benches with shaped ends. Memorials include slate and alabaster wall tablet with apron and crest with Arms and Latin inscription, 1668. 4 C18 brasses to Evans family. 2 C19 brasses and marble tablet. Brass, 1837, referring to benefactions. War Memorial brass, 1918. Wooden War Memorial plaque, 1945.

Listing NGR: SK4837039743

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 48370 39743

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:36:38.

End of official listing