Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:40:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 27604 80710


LEWANNICK SX 28 SE 2/42 Church of St Martin 22.11.60 GV II* Parish church dedicated to St Martin. Norman origins extended in C15. Partly destroyed by fire in 1890 and rebuilt by Otto. B. Peter of Launceston. Stone rubble, roughly coursed ashlar stone south aisle, north aisle of ashlar stone with moulded plinth and ashlar stone west tower. Granite ashlar south porch. Plan: Nave and chancel, 5 bay north and south aisle, north and south porches and west tower. The extent of the rebuilding is uncertain. Much of the masonry appears intact, the north arcade has been rebuilt using earlier material and the south arcade is probably C19. Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses, moulded plinth and strings, battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Well carved arch to west door with hollow chamfer ornamented with carved fleurons and with carved hoodmould. The tracery to the west window has been renewed but is surrounded with a crocketted ogee canopy flanked by elongated finials. 3-light belfry openings. Much of the tracery in the north and south aisles was renewed in the circa C18, the design consisting of two mullions with a single transom in the earlier 4-centred arches. Perpendicular tracery in the east window of the north aisle, chancel and one of the windows in the south aisle and C19 tracery in the east window of the south aisle. Rood loft projection in north aisle. The north porch has a 4-centred roll moulded arch with a C15 waggon roof with late C19 bosses. The south porch has a similar roof, both have bosses carved Charles Harward Archer 1890. Interior: Plastered walls. C19 waggon-type roofs. 2 centred tower arch with blind tracery decorating the soffit. Circa C15 granite 5-bay north arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers, the central cavetto moulding accentuated, with 4-centred moulded arches. The arcade has been partly rebuilt. The bases of the piers are probably C19. The easternmost arch is slightly narrower and chamfered. Freestone circa C19 5- bay south arcade. C19 furnishings. C19 gothic organ case and stall, originally from Trelaske House. Norman font with partly recarved octagonal bowl with unusually carved panels on later shaft and base. Piscina and aumbry in chancel. Rood loft stair doorways. C17 chest at west end of church. Medieval stone with 7 cups, originally filled with tallow and used to light church by igniting inserted wick. Inscribed stone discovered in 2 pieces in 1894. Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970. [Kelly's Directory; Cornwall.]

Listing NGR: SX2760480710


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kellys Directory' in Cornwall, (1889)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06236/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Tessa Baker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].