This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EBBA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EBBA

List entry Number: 1276786

Location

CHURCH OF ST EBBA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Beadnell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408485

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEADNELL BEADNELL VILLAGE NU 22 NW 12/71 Church of St. Ebba 22.12.69 GV II Parish church. c.1740, enlarged 1797. Partly Gothicized c.1860, possibly by F.R. Wilson of Alnwick, and again, largely internally, in 1889. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. West porch-tower, nave, chancel and vestries. C18 west tower has C19 doorway with multi-moulded surround. Band above. 2-light bell openings with Y-tracery, clock above. Concave cornice with large angle gargoyles. Short ashlar spire with octagonal pierced screen, the base which is said to be of 1860 but is probably C18 Gothick; it has a pair of lancets on each side with quatrefoil above each; buttresses between each lancet have grotesque heads at mid-point and short crocketed finials. Flanking the tower are lean-to vestries of C18 masonry with plinths and bands, and 2-light windows of 1889. 4-bay nave with plinth and sill band. On south side three C18 windows with Y-tracery, and one Geometric window of 1860. North side has windows of 1860; outer bays have small lancets; centre bays have odd Geometric tracery under gables with cross finials; between centre bays abuttress capped by gabled tabernacle with 4 colonettes. Chancel has lean-to later C19 vestry on south side. 3-light Decorated east window and 2-light Geometric north window. Interior: Arts-and-Crafts screen in C15 style. Stained glass of 1854 in chancel, and 1851 on south side of nave, one window signed by William Wailes, others possibly by him also; one signed Baguley, Newcastle. 1939-45 war memorial window by H.E. Nuttgens of High Wycombe Panelled barrel-vaulted ceiling.

Listing NGR: NU2298429280

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 22984 29280

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 08:41:14.

End of official listing