The Nelson Monument (Nelson's Column)


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Nelson Monument (Nelson's Column), Trafalgar Square WC2


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276052.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:41:41.


Statutory Address:
The Nelson Monument (Nelson's Column), Trafalgar Square WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30017 80419


TQ 3080 SW 83/13

CITY OF WESTMINSTER TRAFALGAR SQUARE, WC2 The Nelson Monument (Nelson's Column)


GV I Memorial column and sculpture. 1839-1842, the design by William Railton; the crowning statue by E.H Baily; the bas-relief panels by J.E Carew, J. Ternouth, M.L Watson and W.F Woodington; the lions added 1867, by Sir Edwin Landseer.

Granite and bronze. Tall stepped plinth with lions at angles, lofty coursed pedestal with bronze bas-reliefs and great fluted granite column with bronze Corinthian capital surmounted by the stone statue of Nelson. Noteworthy quality of the four bas-relief panels on the pedestal, depicting Nelson's famous naval victories. Landseer's lions were cast by Baron Marochetti between 1858 and 1867.

Trafalgar Square, known as such from 1830, owes its town planning origin to an initial proposal of Nash's of 1811-12 fully elaborated and laid out as the major executed feature of Nash's Metropolitan - West Strand improvements of 1824-26.

Listing NGR: TQ3001780419


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Summerson, J, The Life and Work of John Nash, (1980)
'Survey of London' in Trafalgar Square and neighbourhood The Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields Part 3: Volume 20 , , Vol. 20, (1979)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12604/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Bird. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].