THE ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST SEXBURGA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1273489
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
THE ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST SEXBURGA, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:04:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST SEXBURGA, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Minster-on-Sea
National Grid Reference:
TQ 95607 72985

Details

1. 5282 HIGH ~REET (North Side) Minster-on-Sea, Sheerness The Abbey Church of St Mary and St Sexburga TQ 97 SE 13/168 27.6.63. A GV

A large building in flint and rubble. A nunnery was founded here. It was burned by the Danes in 855 and rebuilt by Archbishop Corbeuil between 1123 and 1136. It was dissolved in 1539. There remain the conventual and parochial churches standing side by side, the north chancel and nave having been the conventual church and the south chancel and nave the parish church, in the Early English style, with a tower at the west end of the north nave and a south porch. The north half is the oldest portion of the building, with considerable Saxon remains, but the bulk of the building dates from the C13. The tower was added in the C15 but not completed and has a modern wood belfry. The east end of the north chancel dates from 1581, when St Katherine's Chapel beyond it was demolished. The south porch dates from 1879-81, when the whole church was restored from ruins by Christian. Late C14 screen. C12 column sculpture of the Virgin and Child. Monuments of the C14 and C15.

Revision Number: 2



HIGH STREET 1. 5282 (North Side) lfinster-on-Sea, Sheerness The Abbey Church of St Mary and St Sexburga TQ 97 SE 13/168 27.6.63. GV 2. A large building in flint and rubble. A nunnery was founded here. It was burned by the Danes in 855 and rebuilt by Archbishop Corbeuil between 1123 and 1136. It was dissolved in 1539. There remain the conventual and parochial churches standing side by side, the north chancel and nave having been the conventual church and the south chancel and nave the parish church, in the Early English style, with a tower at the west end of the north nave and a south porch. The north half is the oldest portion of the building, with considerable Saxon remains, but the bulk of the building dates from the C13. The tower was added in the C15 but not completed and has a modern wood belfry. The east end of the north chancel dates from 1581, when St Katherine's Chapel beyond it was demolished. The south porch dates from 1879-81, when the whole church was restored from ruins by Christian. Late C14 screen. C12 column sculpture of the Virgin and Child. Monuments of the C14 and C15.





Listing NGR: TQ9555272937

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444803
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10496/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].