CHURCH OF ST HIERITHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1273408
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HIERITHA, THE SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273408.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:58:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HIERITHA, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Chittlehampton
National Grid Reference:
SS 63598 25590

Details

SS 62 NW CHITTLEHAMPTON THE SQUARE, Chittlehampton

1/160 Church of St Hieritha - 20.2.67 GV I

Parish church. Entire fabric appears to be a rebuilding of late C15/early C16 date, chancel rebuilt and extended in 1840s, north aisle rebuilt, reroofing and refenestration and "general repair and reseating entrusted to Mr Hayward" 1872. Unrendered stone rubble, tower coursed, with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles, coped parapets with apex crosses. The C15/early C16 church consists of nave, north and south aisles and transepts, chancel, south porch and west tower. North aisle, arcade piers, chancel and fenestration renewed 1872. Exceptionally fine tall west tower of Somerser type, of 4 stages with set-back buttresses with crocketted pinnacles to each offset. Embattled parapet pierced with quatrefoils, and similar friezes at the base and at each stage. 8 open-work 2- stage pinnacles. Gargoyles at the angles. Large transomed 2-light bell-openings to each face with heavily ornamented pierced tracery. Clockface above 2-light pointed arched window on south side over cusped and pinnacled niche. Tall 4-light Perpendicular pointed arched west window, the mullions replacedin C19, above 4- -centred arched doorway with foliated spandrels and richly moulded surround. Hoodmould with leaf labels. South aisle, and south and north transets have embattled paraets with quatrefoil friezes. South aisle has buttresses at intervals with crocketted pinnacles to the offsets. Perpendicular style fenestration, 4 lights at west end, 3 lights to each side of, and straight headed 3-light window over south porch, which has embattled parapet, diagonal buttresses and niche above pointed arched doorway with demi-angel corbels to the hoodmould. Ogee-flanking hollow mould surround with fleuron decoration. Fine trabarted ceiling with blind quatrefoil tracery to each panel, richly carved bosses at the intersections and deep moulded timber cornice. Inner doorway with similar moulding on smaller scale, human head corbels to the hoodmould, and carved base for statue above. Original door with heavily moulded cover strips forming 5 panels with blind traceried heads. North transept has angle buttresses with 2 seated mythical beastes to each offset. Rood stair turret in left-hand (west) angle. 4-light window with narrow priest's doorway to right. Stone oval tablet set in right-hand buttress with inscrition to James Spurnay, a Giffard family servant, d. 1715. C19 4-light Perpendicular style windows to east side of each transept and chancels east end. 2-light ponited arched window to chancel south side. Polygonal ashlar chimney pot to north-east corner of chancel. Perpendicular style 4=light window to north transept, infilled below the transom. Blocked 4-centred arched doorway below. All C19 3-light windows to north aisle, with 4-light window at the west end. Interior. Nave and aisle walls unrendered plastered walls to chancel and transepts. Arcade of 5 bays between nave and aisles with 2 more between chancel and transepts. Piers of 'Pevsner' B type, on north side with concave octagonal capitals only to the main shafts, standard leaf capitals on south side. Tall pointed tower arch with hollow and ogee marbled surround and large leaf capitals. Wide-span moulded pointed chancel arch. Nave, chancel and aisles have concealed waggon roofs, those to nave and chancel apparently C19, those to aisles late C15 with moulded ribs and carved bosses at the intersections. Crenellated wall plates to south aisle. Chancel roof has carved angel figures to the base of each rib. Early C16 transetal roofs are trebeated with heavily moulded intersecting beams and large carved bosses at the intersections. Chancel: Late C19 stone reredos with statues in niches flanking mosaic of Last Supper. Double C19 sedilia and patterned floor tiles. Nave: Slender stone pulpit (circa 1500) with figures of saints, under ogee canoies in narrow panels with leaf frames. C19 nave seating throughout with blind traceried bench ends. Nave floor has many exposed slab memorials. C19 font with lead lined bowl on C15 base. Glass: full complement of C19 glass survive to aisles and south transept with trailing texts. Stained glass to east end window to William Barry d.1871. Chancel south window to Rolle Family by Hardman. Monuments: Chancel north side. Arched entrance to narrow chamber floored with stone inscribed "Orate pro anima Joan Cobley", possibly placed over relics of St Urith. Elaborate niche in pier with painted inscription 'In memory of St Hieritha, Foundress of this Church' with verses. 2 wall monuments above to Rev. Thomas Colley d.1762, with broken pediments and central achievement and John Bear d.1656, nowy arched with achievement and 3 roundels with inscriptions to his children. Chancel south side C17 tablet Rev. Hugh Harris. North transet. Giffard Chapel with semi-reclining figure of Grace Giffard d. 1667 a fragment of larger monument and large standing wall monument to Joh Giffard of Brightley; recumbent figure with 2 kneeling figures against the tomb-chest. On back wall 2 bearded heads in profile in medallions, broken pediment on which cherubs recline and central achievement. West wall: 2 C19 marble wall monuments to Collingwood and Giffard family. South transept: (Rolle Chapel) Large C18 standing marble wall monuments with taering obelisk above reclining cherub in high relief with achuevement above and torches to each side. Inscription to members of Rolle family 'Whose lives have left to posterity a more expressive Menorial than can be perpetuated on the most Durable Marble' East wall: Tablet to Edward Yeo of North Petherwin d. 1636. North aisle, north side to Joachim Rolle d. 1638, south side marble wall monument by T Gould to John Nickolls of Brightley, d.1850. St Hieritha Church is one of the larger North Devon Churches, is of interest for its few early building phases, being entirely C15/C16, and for its exceptionally fine west tower 'unquestionably the finest church tower in Devon' (Hoskins).









Listing NGR: SS6360025591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444958
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07971/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].