CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1272065
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272065.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Boldre
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SZ 35170 96733

Details

SZ 39 NE SOUTH BADDESLEY 1924/15/10011 CHURCH OF ST MARY II

Anglican church. 1818; extended 1858. Rendered. Welsh slate roof with coped gable ends. PLAN : Cruciform plan, with nave, small chancel, two large transepts and entrance porch in a small tower at the west end of the nave; on either side of the chancel a small lean-to, the south is the vestry , the north lean-to is an outhouse. The church was extended in 1858 when the chancel and transepts were added in the same style. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: Tall lancets with hoodmoulds and leaded lattice-pane windows; tripartite lancets at the east end and in the transept gables. Slender west tower projecting from west gable end of nave with convex re-entrants, pointed arch doorway, very small lancet and clock over , and with belfry above with lancets, but its small spire is missing. Small lean-to vestry and outbuilding on south and north sides respectively of chancel; the vestry has small square corrugated-iron clad extension with pyramidal slate roof INTERIOR: Plastered walls and ceilings. The chancel arch is a wooden fretwork structure on small brackets with script painted on the pointed arch and with pierced trefoil spandrels. Panelled reredos with pinnacles. Panelled octagonal pulpit, brass eagle lectern and organ. 1858 benches intact. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.599.



Listing NGR: SZ3509696548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472706
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 599

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01954/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Francis Greaves. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].