KINGSWOOD MEETING HOUSE AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1271794
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1999
Statutory Address:
KINGSWOOD MEETING HOUSE AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, PACKHORSE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271794.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 12:26:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
KINGSWOOD MEETING HOUSE AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, PACKHORSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Bromsgrove (District Authority)
Parish:
Wythall
National Grid Reference:
SP 07778 77050

Details

WYTHALL SP 07 NE PACKHORSE LANE (North west side) 1655/3/10016 Kingswood Meeting House and Sunday School

II Meeting house, now a chapel and Sunday school. Built in 1793 as Presbyterian meeting house; remodelled c1860-74; Sunday school added later C19. Flemish bond and Flemish garden wall bond brick with stone and polychrome brick dressings. Slate roof with gable ends, front gable with stone coping. PLAN: Rectangular, almost square, plan auditorium of original meeting house, with entrances at south end. Remodelled and Gothicised c1860-74, when a small chancel was built at the north end, and a portico built on the south front incorporating a mausoleum and small gallery above. Later in the C19 a Sunday school was added at the north end, built at right-angles to the chancel. EXTERIOR: South front has wide rendered gable and brick string-courses. Small gabled central2-storey projection with 2-light plate tracery window on first floor, and mausoleum below with segmental dog-tooth arch opening on ground floor with moulded string-course above raised over roundel. Flanking porches with round arches forming an arcade; inner doorways with pilastered doorcases with panelled reveals and panelled double-doors; the central bay is a mausoleum containing a railed tomb; above the porches small plate-tracery rose windows. The east and west sides each have two large 2-light Gothic traceried windows. The chancel at the north end has triple and double lancet windows. The Sunday school attached at right-angles to north of chancel has large cast-iron frame windows with small panes. INTERIOR: Panelled dado and polygonal pulpit from earlier meeting house. Moulded chancel and organ chamber arches. Open moulded tie-beam roof structure with arch-braces and carved queen- and king-posts. Gothic balustrade and arch with trefoil pierced spandrels to small gallery at south end. Victorian furnishings include pews, Communion rail, organ and floor tiles. White marble wall monuments. Patterned stained glass. HISTORY: The first meeting house built c1708 and damaged in the Sacheverell riots of 1715, was entirely destroyed in the Birmingham riots of 1791 and replaced by this building in 1793. SOURCE: RCHME, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England; pp.259 and 260.





Listing NGR: SP0777877050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
473120
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 259, 260

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16863/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].