This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

List entry Number: 1271049

Location

CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 455819

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE CHURCH LANE, Wilford 646-1/7/804 Church of St Wilfrid 29/04/64 (Formerly Listed as: WILFORD Church of St Wilfrid)

GV II*

Parish church. Late C14, possibly founded by Gervase de Wilford c1361. Chancel c1430, clerestory and tower later C15. Aisles rebuilt and vestry added 1890-91 by Naylor & Sale of Derby. Restored 1868 and 1890. Nave reroofed 1935, chancel reroofed 1960. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. PLAN: nave and chancel under continuous roof, clerestory, vestry and aisles, south porch, north-west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, crenellated parapets except to south aisle. Chancel, north aisle and vestry have buttresses topped with pinnacles. Chancel, 2 bays, has pointed arched east window, 3-lights. To south, 2 flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and pointed arched door with double shafts. To north, a similar window. All the openings have hood moulds. Nave west gable has a renewed window, 3-lights, and clerestory has to south 4 windows, 2-lights, all flat-headed. North aisle has two flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and single light west window, renewed. Vestry, to north east, has 2 smaller flat-headed windows to north, and a renewed pointed arched window to east, 3-lights. All these windows have panel tracery. Square north porch to vestry, with segment-arched door and wrought-iron gates. South aisle 4 bays, has angle buttresses. To south, flanking the porch, pointed arched windows, 2-lights, and to east, a similar 3-light window with intersecting tracery. East end has a decorated style window, 3-lights, renewed. West end has a single lancet. South porch, gabled, has pointed arched doorway with niche above, and single slit lights each side. Inside, restored stone benches, C19 wrought-iron gates, roof and inner doorway. Square tower, 2 stages, has buttresses and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, renewed. C19 chamfered west doorway, and small lights to north and above. Bell stage has a 2-light pointed arched opening each side. INTERIOR: scraped 1890. Chancel has double chamfered arch and panelled cross beam ceiling. North side has archway and 2 doors, segment-headed, with organ and reset traceried screen, 1921, perhaps with medieval fragments. East end has early C20 panelled reredos, and stained glass east window c1864, flanked by niches. South side has memorial stained glass window, c1870, by O'Connor to Henry Kirke White. Ogee piscina, triple sedilia, restored 1868, and doorway. Nave has arcades, 3 bays, with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches, and renewed cross beam roof. 3 unglazed clerestory windows to north, covered by the aisle, and 4 to south. West end has stained glass window c1891. North aisle has double chamfered arches at each end, the west one with a traceried screen. Stained glass windows, 1915 and 1916. Vestry has panelling, fireplace and stair turret. South aisle has stained glass windows, late C19 and early C20. Reset stoup, C13, at east end. Fittings mainly late C19 and early C20. Recut octagonal font, possibly C14. Memorials include large slate tablets with crests and putti, signed W Chales of Wymeswold, 1732 and 1755. Pedimented marble and slate tablet, 1818, by Walkers of Nottingham. 2 marble and slate war memorial tablets, C20 with sword between them. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 272-273; Church guide: Wright A: Wilford: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SK5663337797

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 272-273
Wright, A , Wilford Church Guide, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SK 56633 37797

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:40:14.

End of official listing