This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1270861

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, DALE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456511

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE DALE STREET, Sneinton 646-1/7/167 (South side) 12/07/72 Church of St Stephen

GV II

Parish church. Tower and part of south transept 1837-39 by Rickman & Hussey. Remainder 1909-12, by CG Hare of Bodley & Hare. Coursed square stone with ashlar dressings and concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel and vestry, nave, aisles, transepts and crossing tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, plain parapets, coped gables. Pointed arched windows, mostly 2 lights, with simple tracery. Chancel, 3 bays, has blank east end with central buttress. Vestry, to south, has a flat-headed window, 3 lights, and east door. Similar north vestry has 2 smaller windows. Nave, 4 bays, has 3 pairs of slit lights to the clerestory. West end has a large 4-light window. North aisle has 4 windows, and door in east bay. South aisle has 3 windows. The windows have linked hood moulds. Both aisles have at the west end a pointed arched double door with hood mould and a 2-light mullioned window above. Transepts have 2 windows in the gable, flanking a buttress. To south-west, a single bay projection with one window. Square tower, 2 stages, has shallow clasping buttresses. Lower stage has a roundel each side, with clock faces to north and west. Bell stage has pointed arched double openings flanked by narrower blanks. INTERIOR: chancel ashlar, remainder rendered. Chancel has low-pitched panelled ceiling with bosses. Door on north side. Crossing has single bay vault with moulded ribs. Pointed arched openings, with traceried wooden screen and organ case to south. Nave has arcades, 4 bays, with moulded piers and arches without capitals. Wooden barrel vault with moulded ribs. Plain west window. Aisles have exposed ashlar and above, concrete transverse arches. Pointed arched and doors at west ends. North aisle has two stained glass windows, late C19. South aisle has stained glass window, 1917. North transept (St George's Chapel) has cross beam ceiling and panelling, 1931. South transept has a rendered vault, and stained glass window, 1938. To east, a double archway to the Lady Chapel, with chamfered pier. Lady Chapel has cross beam ceiling, panelled wainscotting, and stained glass windows late C19 and 1944. Fittings mainly by CG Hare include elaborate wooden reredos in German C15 style, panelled reredos with niche and figure in north chapel, 3-tower organ case, and octagonal font with spire cover. Return stalls, late C15, with misericords, removed from St Mary's church, Nottingham, 1848. Brass eagle lectern, 1883. Memorials include triptych war memorial by Hare, 1927. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 250; Sneinton Parish Church History: Truman N: Gloucester: 1946-).

Listing NGR: SK5844439646

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Truman, N , Sneinton Parish Church History, (1946)
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 250
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/61370

National Grid Reference: SK 58444 39646

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270861 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 08:06:02.

End of official listing