CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1270306
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270306.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 18:50:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dudley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91646 91286

Details

SO 99 SW DUDLEY CHURCH STREET (west side), Lower Gornal 5/10017 Church of St James the Great

GV II

Anglican church. 1815-17 by Thomas Lee; enlarged 1837; refitted 1849 and restored 1899. Dressed stone. Slate and tile roofs. PLAN: The 1815-17 chapel-of-ease comprised a broad nave without aisles, but with a gallery at the west end and a west tower. North and south porches added circa 1837. Refitted and chancel added in 1849. Chancel rebuilt in 1899 and top stage of tower rebuilt in 1930. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: The broad nave has tall lancets with buttresses between. 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses; top stage with 2-light bell-openings and battlements, rebuilt in 1930. Polygonal chancel with angle buttresses, partly rendered. INTERIOR: Plastered walls. Open timber queen-post roof. West gallery on thin posts. Large moulded chancel arch and arch-braced chancel roof. Stone circular pulpit and polygonal font. Organ installed 1899. North window of apse 1902 by Ninian Comper. SOURCE: Ironbridge Institute, A Survey of Surviving Buildings and Remains from the Industrial Period in Gornal, 1991.



Listing NGR: SO9164691286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459726
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collins, P, 'Ironbridge Institute Paper' in A Survey Of Surviving Buildings And Remains From The Industrial Period In Gornal, (1991)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01337/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Cundy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].