This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1265703

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Warslow and Elkstones

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 05 NE WARSLOW AND ELKSTONES C.P. WARSLOW

4/151 Church of St. Laurence

1/2/67 - II

Parish Church. 1820 with additions of 1908 by Lynam and Sons. Rough faced ashlar with rusticated ashlar quoins to nave, porch and tower; clay tile roofs with coped verges on kneelers. 2 bay chancel; 4 bay nave; South transept; North vestry. South porch; West tower; mainly round headed windows and doors. Chancel: roll moulded windows: tripartite East window with raised keys and bracketed sill; circular light above with re-set datestone of 1631 over; buttresses to each side of East window. Nave: windows have raised keys, imposts and sills; moulded cornice and plain parapet. Door with rusticated surround to gabled South Porch dated 1970. South transept has 2 lights to South and lunette above dated 1908 on sill. West tower of 3 stages; West door with rusticated surround, square windows to ground floor; crenellated parapet and corner finials. Interior: Very wide round headed chancel arch with roll moulding, springing from moulded corbels; widely splayed pointed doorway to West tower. Plaster ceiling to nave with central roundel and suspended brass chandalier; open timber roof to chancel of 2 collars with raking struts in between braced from the upper collar; tie beam is braced from the wallplate. Fittings: Early C19 wooden West gallery; Romanesque font; roughly circular bowl with 4 roughly moulded strips attached; box pew in S.E. corner of nave and bench pews, all early C19; North and South windows of Chancel have decorative mosaic surrounds; 1 stained glass window of 1880 and 1 of 1920 both in nave, East window is 1910.

Listing NGR: SK0863558640

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 08635 58640

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:54:02.

End of official listing