This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1264623

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Gedling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lambley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAMBLEY off CHURCH STREET SK 64 NW (south west side) 5/67 Church of Holy Trinity 13.10.66 I Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C14; largely rebuilt c.1470 by Ralph Cromwell. Dressed stone with plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinths, moulded and chamfered eaves, moulded coped parapets. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, C13 and C14, has stepped plinth, 3 string courses, coved eaves with 4 spouts, crenellated parapet. To west, 2 clasp buttresses. Second stage has to north, south and west, a small lancet. Third stage has to north and south, a round headed opening with hood mould. To east, doorway. To west, C13 triple lancet with hood mould. Fourth stage has 4 C14 cusped double lancets with hood moulds. Nave north side has to east, remains of adjoining building and 2 buttresses, 3 setoffs. 3 C15 triple lancets with panel tracery. To west, blocked C14 doorway. South side has 3 buttresses, 4 setoffs and 3 triple lancets. All openings have hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has string course and coped gable with cross. North side has remains of adjoining building and to east, double lancet with intersecting tracery and segmental head. East end has traceried 5 light lancet flanked by single panels containing badge of Ralph Cromwell. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs. South side has 2 C15 triple lancets and off-centre priest's door. All openings have hood moulds. Door has mask stops. Gabled vestry, late C20, has a door to west and a casement on each side. Restored south porch has coped gable and 2 flanking buttresses. Plain doorway with hood mould. Interior has stone benches, one made from incised alabaster tomb slab. Purlin roof of re-used timber. Restored roll moulded doorway with four centred arched head. Tower arch, C13, chamfered round head, with round responds and waterleaf capitals. Nave north side has to east, doorway and winder stair to former rood loft, with doorways above to pulpit and rood loft. South side has to east, C14 piscina and above it, doorway to rood loft. Low pitched roof. Archless chancel has screen, 1377, extensively restored 1966. North side has ogee headed C14 doorway and above it, chamfered squint. East end has C20 timber reredos and window with C15 stained glass. South side has four centred arched aumbry and C13 cusped piscina. Both south windows have C14 stained glass fragments. Fittings include font, early C19, with 4 baluster shaped shafts and octagonal stem, faceted octagonal bowl. Early C19 cover. Octagonal oak pulpit with sounding board, 1918. Early Cl7 altar rail with balusters. C20 stalls and desk incorporating Cl7 carved fragments. C18 oak chest. C19 lectern and benches. Memorials include incised alabaster slab, pedimented tablet, 1830, and panelled oak war memorial, 1918 and 1945.

Listing NGR: SK6312045435

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 63120 45435

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:36:03.

End of official listing