This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN

List entry Number: 1264188

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Gedling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woodborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODBOROUGH MAIN STREET SK 64 NW (south side) 5/161 Church of St. Swithun L3.10.66 G.V. II* Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1891-97. Coursed and squared rubble and dressed stone. Moulded and chamfered plinths, chamfered eaves, coped gables with kneelers and crosses. Single buttressed ashlar gable stack. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C15, 2 stages, has coved string course and eaves band, crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs. First stage has to south, a light. West side has chamfered four centred arched doorway and above it, similar C15 triple lancet. North side has clock. Second stage has 4 restored cusped double lancets. Nave clerestory, 3 bays, restored C19, has to north 2 and to south 3 round headed windows. Each side has to east, a restored C14 kneeler. North aisle, late C15, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses. Central re-set doorway. C12, 3 orders, with scalloped capitals, cabling and zigzag bands. Flanked by single restored double lancets with square headed reveals and hood moulds. Similar south aisle has 2 similar lancets. Chancel, mid C14, 3 bays, has moulded sill band and elaborate plinth. On each side 2 gabled buttresses. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses. Each has a pair of gargoyles. On each side, 2 double reticulated lancets with moulded reveals and hood moulds. East end has 5 light lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Above it, traceried lancet with apron containing 2 shields. Vestry, mid C20, has flat roof with parapet and a mullioned casement to east and to south. South porch, rebuilt late C19, has flat roof, moulded eaves band and parapet. Chamfered round headed doorway with imposts. Interior has 2 stone benches and vaulted roof. Doorway, C14, has keeled moulding, hood mould with stops, and restored Cl7 plank door. Nave arcades, late C14, 3 bays, have each 2 octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Chamfered and rebated arches have hood moulds with stops. Collar purlin roof, altered late C19, with large tie beams, arch braces and struts. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with conical imposts. Late C19 oak screen, C14 style, incorporating C14 fragments. Tower chamber has moulded stone benches. North aisle has on north side, stained glass windows 1908 and 1907. South aisle has to east, moulded sill band. South side has to east C13 chamfered trefoil headed piscina. To its right, stained glass windows 1908 and 1909. Both aisles have late C19 lean-to roofs. Chancel arch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould and filleted responds. Chancel has moulded sill band. North side has to west, stained glass by Morris & Co., 1910, to Burne- Jones design. To its right, stained glass window, 1882, and square aumbry with C18 door. East end has window with moulded reveal, hood mould and stained glass by Kempe, 1897. Flanked by single large mask corbels, said to be Edward III and Eleanor of Aquitaine. South side has to east cusped piscina with filleted shaft and ogee head. To its right, restored C14 sedilia with pierced quatrefoils and keel moulded surround. To its right, stained glass window, 1909, and memorial window, 1919. Most chancel windows incorporate early C14 stained glass fragments. Fittings include tub font, C12, with zigzag decoration. Octagonal buttressed cover, 1846. Early Cl7 communion table with fluted bulbous legs. Cl7 chest on stand. Late C19 traceried octagonal oak pulpit, lectern and C14 style stalls and benches. Memorials include homiletic tablet signed 'Willm Edge, 1770'. Early C18 tablet to Montagu family. 3 brasses C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK6315147711

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 63151 47711

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264188 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:35:44.

End of official listing