This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1263847

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Broxtowe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Greasley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Jan-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429412

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 44 NE GREASLEY MAIN ROAD Greasley (south west side)

2/19 Church of St. Mary 13/10/66 GV II

The entry shall be amended to read:-

SK 44 NE GREASLEY CHURCH ROAD Greasley (south west side)

2/19 Church of St. Mary 13/10/66 GV II

------------------------------------

SK 44 NE GREASLEY MAIN ROAD Greasley (south west side)

2/19 Church of St. Mary 13.10.66 G.V. II

Parish church. Mid C15. Restored 1753, 1772, 1832, 1882. Nave and chancel rebuilt 1896. Vestries added 1910 and 1962. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar. Gabled and lean-to plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinth. Coved and chamfered eaves. Ashlar side wall stack. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, vestries. West tower, mid C15, 3 stages, has chamfered and moulded plinth, coved string courses and eaves, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. 4 pairs of corner buttresses, 5 setoffs. First stage has to west, moulded doorway with hood mould and above it, cusped triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. Second stage has a light to south and west. Third stage has on each side 2 double round headed lancets with panel tracery and hood mould. Buttressed north aisle, 3 bays, has dated rainwater heads and 3 untraceried triple lancets. South aisle is identical. Nave has coped east gable with cross and a small lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north C15 triple lancet and to east, a corner buttress and shouldered coped gable with cross. Cusped Decorated triple lancet. South side has to east, large buttress. To west, 2 triple lancets, C15, restored, with coved reveals. North vestry has a diagonal buttress and to north, a door and a double lancet. To east, a similar lancet. Gabled south vestry has to east and to south, leaded metal casements. Tall tower arch, double chamfered and rebated, has conical imposts. Late C19 glazed draught screen. Nave arcades, 3 bays, have octagonal piers and responds, with plain bases and moulded capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. East gable has stained glass quatrefoil window. Moulded.kingpost roof with arch braces and shield bosses. Aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces. North aisle east end has pointed opening containing organ. South aisle east end window incorporates C15 stained glass installed 1960. South side east window has stained glass c.1950. Chancel has moulded arch with hood mould and stops plus crested, traceried oak Memorial screen, 1919. North side has opening containing organ. East end has C19 ashlar reredos and stained glass War Memorial window, 1948. South side has to east, window incorporating stained glass from Beauvale Priory, 1947, and to west, stained glass Diocesan window, c.1950. Fittings include plain octagonal font, C14, on round base. Arcaded round pulpit, late C19. C18 balustraded altar rail. C19 and late C20 stalls, benches and desks. 4 slate tablets with shaped heads, C18, with Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer. Slate tablet and obelisk- shaped tablet referring to charities, late C18. Monuments include large marble tablet with apron, obelisk and crest, 1703. Large marble tablet with recess containing half figure below broken pediment and crest, to Lancelot Roileston (sic) 1682. Marble and slate tablets to Rolleston family, 1749, 1770, 1802, 1844. 3 marble and slate tablets mid C18 and C19. Brasses late C16, 1694, late C17, 1712, mid and later C19 and C20. Cased Roll of Honour 1939-45.

Listing NGR: SK4894347184

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26880
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26878
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26879

National Grid Reference: SK 48943 47184

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2018 at 11:59:30.

End of official listing