This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List entry Number: 1263486

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, FAIRWAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Ealing

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432207

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: TQ 18 SW NORTHOLT FAIRWAY

(north-west) 962-/1/10016 CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS II Anglican Church. Designed from 1935-39, construction completed in 1954; to the designs of Harold J. Gibbons. Brick in English bond, with artificial stone dressings; concrete; tile roofs. Chancel and nave continuous of eight round-arched bays, that to ritual west end very high to mark entrance axis, then four diminutive bays and flat roofed north and south aisles; three broad round arches marking vestigial transept, expressed by facing gables outside, and choir. Polygonal baptistery with stone font to west end. Gambrel-roofed porch to southwest with slender bell cote/tower rising behind. The chief interest of the interior is the use of this continuous arcade to organise the liturgical plan and the way in which secondary features, such as the stair to the east end of the north aisle, are clearly subsidiary to it. The variety in roof forms is also noteworthy: transverse barrel vaults over the high bays marking the entrance range; cambered vault continuous over nave/chancel; aisle ceilings are coffered from cast concrete; pair of shallow transverse barrel vaults to eastmost bays south aisle. Organ loft reached by stairs under arcade. Carved rood, with cross in the form of an anchor. Electric light fixtures of original design. Two storey ancillary rooms to ritual northeast. Interior surfaces concrete, painted in original colour scheme in roof and at points of emphasis, unpainted elsewhere. Statue of Christ over south portal. Noteworthy interior features include a stone font. Although the details are of an original character and the emphasis is on formal play and pure geometries, the design is redolent with medievalism.

Listing NGR: TQ1427984773

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 14279 84773

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263486 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:29:51.

End of official listing