Church of St Hilda


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Hilda, High Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263355.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:40:27.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Hilda, High Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hartlepool (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 52842 33679


NZ 5233 8/76 HARTLEPOOL Headland HIGH STREET (north side), Church of St. Hilda (formerly listed under Church Walk)


GV I Church, c.1200, incorporating remains of early C12 church, on site of C7 monastery; aisles partly rebuilt C15; restored c.1724 and mid C19 by C. Hodgson Fowler; chancel partly rebuilt c.1870 by J.B Pritchett (Darlington) and 1925-32 by W.D Caröe, in Early English style, when whole church was restored. Mid C13 tower, restored 1838, 1893 and 1930. Late C13 Galilee chapel restored 1928; south porch 1932. Dressed limestone with roofs of Westmorland slate; stone slates to porch. Clerestoried and aisled nave and chancel, Bruce chapel (ambulatory), south porch, west tower with north and south aisles, and Galilee chapel.

Three-stage tower has angle buttresses, massive late C13 shoring walls on three sides and flying buttresses to south side. Vice at southwest angle is carried up as turret. Above tower aisles with renewed windows, are blind four bay arcades. Mid C12 west doorway of four chamfered orders, flanked by earlier doorway remains: two orders of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and dogtooth moulding between them. North, south and west faces of middle stage have paired lancets behind two bay arcades with clock faces in spandrels. East face of upper stage has two lancets, other faces have two lancets behind four bay arcades. Embattled parapet has crocketed angle pinnacles. Galilee chapel adjoining west side of tower, has late C13 doorway of four chamfered orders. Buttressed six bay nave and four bay chancel have mid C13 lancet set behind partly blind three bay arcade in each bay of clerestories. Nave aisles have mid C19 windows. Altered early C12 round-headed south doorway of two lozenge-and-chevron moulded orders, those below springing moved outwards to allow third order of nook shafts. Two bay chancel aisles are spanned by flying buttresses and have paired lancets.

Single-bay Bruce chapel has tall grouped lancets and octagonal angle turrets. Tower has quadripartite vaulting to lower stage and tower arches on three sides, that to east being shouldered and of three orders; others of two orders; all with filleted keel and roll mouldings. North arcade of nave has five rolled and keeled orders on compound piers with circular abaci and octagonal bases. South arcade has five keeled orders and compound piers, each with circular abacus and chamfered circular plinth. Round wall-shafts to clerestories.

Chancel arcades similar to nave; two east bays rebuilt and blank but for lancets. Chancel arch of c.1200 has four moulded orders and compound responds of keeled, and filleted round shafts with waterleaf capitals and square abaci. Three bay lancet arcade divides Bruce chapel from chancel.

Font of c.1728: scalloped marble basin and baluster shaft, with wood crown cover. Oak rood screen, 1894, by C. Hodgson Fowler. Piscina in south aisle of chancel, has nailhead ornament. Late C16 brass on north aisle wall, has female figure and inscription. Late C7 grave marker with runic inscription, on south wall of chancel. Worn medieval grave slab with effigy, on late C13 chest tomb in Bruce chapel. Many Saxon and medieval architectural fragments throughout church.

Listing NGR: NZ5283633682


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Durham, (1928), 278-283


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01275/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Sample. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].