CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1262994
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262994.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:36:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30216 25319

Details

SE32NW WF3 CHURCH LANE SE302253 MORLEY (north side) East Ardsley

3/71 Church of St. Michael

GV II

Church. 1880-81 reusing Norman doorway from earlier church by W. Swinden Barber (Halifax). Large, remarked punch-dressed stone reused from the earlier church, supplemented by Morley Stone from Denton quarries, Welsh blue-slate roof. West tower, nave, aisles, chancel, south vestry, south porch. Perpendicular style. 4-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses, south-west corner octagonal stair-turret rises above tower surmounted by weather vane. 2-light window in 1st stage, lancet in 2nd stage, clock to 3 sides in 3rd stage, 2-light belfry opening with cusped lights. 4-bay nave with clerestorey and aisles. Porch set in 1st bay has arched doorway with hoodmould with carved face stops and coped gable. In porch is reused Norman doorway c1160 with 3 decorative orders; chevron, zig-zag incorporating beak-head ornament probably from 3rd order now replaced by curious cross-bones motif; original capitals but renewed columns. Aisle has two 3-light windows with cusped lights and curvilinear tracery and 2-light window to 4th bay. Clerestorey has 3-light chamfered mullioned windows with trefoil cusped lights. North aisle continues a bay into chancel. Gabled vestry, breaking forward has pointed doorway with ogee lintel set in west wall. 3-light window with taller central cusped light in gable. Lateral stack at 2-bay junction with chancel which has lower roof than nave. Coped gables with crosses to apex. 4-light east window with cusped lights and panel tracery surmounted by octofoil.

Interior: relatively plain with pointed-arched arcades on octagonal piers with square moulded capitals. Collar-rafter roof with crossed principals. Some monuments from earlier church, the best to Rev. Ingram Shaw c1766. Font dated 1663 has octagonal, recessed, cyma-moulded panels, 2 bearing date with raised numerals; octagonal base and shaft. The Churchwardens' Accounts show they paid 5/- for the stone and £1-1s-4d to Michael Nettleton for making and carving the font, plus 6d for sharpening his tools. Set under porch is grave of John Field (1520-1586) who was the first astronomer in this country to make known the discoveries of Copernicus.

Stained glass memorial windows by Heaton, Butler and Bayne (London). Vestry has panelling made from box pews of earlier church, one initialled and dated "1634 R.S.E.S." (Robert and Elizabeth Shaw of Ardsley Hall (q.v.) Main Street).

The original church was a chapel of ease for St. Mary's, Woodkirk (q.v.) and belonged to Nostell Priory. After the Reformation it fell into the hands of the Savile Family and by marriage to the Earl of Cardigan. The Patroness of the present church was Lady Cardigan, widow of the 7th Earl of Cardigan (who led the Charge of the Light Brigade). The Cardigan family are still patrons of the living of East Ardsley.

J. M. Booth, A History of the Parish Church of St. Michael East Ardsle , (booklet 1963).

M. Fiske and R. Weller, St. Michael's Church East Ardsle 1881-1981 (centenary booklet).

Listing NGR: SE3021625319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433192
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booth, J , A History of the Parish Church of St Michael East Ardsley, (1963)
Fiske, M, Weller, R, St Michaels Church East Ardsley 1881-1981, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13334/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard W E Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].