CHURCH OF ST DAVID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1262898
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DAVID, CHURCHYARD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262898.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 00:04:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DAVID, CHURCHYARD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Thelbridge
National Grid Reference:
SS 78754 12160

Details

THELBRIDGE CHURCHYARD LANE SS 71 SE 2/259 - Church of St David 26.8.65 - II*

Parish Church. Medieval origins, completely rebuilt by Packham and Croote 1872-5. Chancel corner stone dated 1872 and tower buttress foundation stone inscribed Samuel Rosegood, Rector; George Packham, Architect; and James Parish, Builder. Snecked, rock-faced volcanic stone with veined voncanic ashlar detail to nave and chancel and Bathstone detail to tower; slate roof. Nave with lower chancel, west tower, vestry on north side of chancel, south porch. Gothic-style, a mixture of early Decorated, Perpendicular and Tudor. West tower in 2 stages with low offset angle and embattled parapet with Bathstone corner finials raised on volcanic pinnacles. 2 bold drip courses, the upper course with large carved gargoyle heads on each corner. Large arch-headed 2-light simple Decorated-style belfry windows on each side. North side of tower has semi-octagonal stair turret with shoulder-headed external door which contains original C19 door with ornate strap hinges. West side has volcanic ashlar doorway and 2-centred arch with moulded surround and containing double doors with ornate strap hinges. Above door is an arch-headed 2-light window similar to the belfry windows. South side of tower has 2 trefoil-headed lancets to ground floor and a round window with cusped tracery to ringing floor. South side of nave has 2 volcanic ashlar square-headed 3-light windows with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds. Gable-ended south porch between windows has volcanic double- chamfered 2 centred outer arch, shaped kneelers and plain coping surmounted by a cross of Iona. Chancel is lower and narrower than nave, and ends of both nave and chancel have shaped kneelers and coping surmounted by a plain Latin cross; some of chancel coping replaced with C20 concrete. South side of chancel has 3 square-headed single light windows, all with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds. Chancel is lower and narrower than nave, and ends of both nave and chancel have shaped kneelers and coping surmounted by a plain Latin cross; some of chancel coping replaced with C20 concrete. South side of chancel has 3 square-headed single light windows, all with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds. East end of chancel has arch-headed 3-light Perpendicular-style window in which some of the tracery may be reused C15 work. Gable-ended vestry at right angles on north side of chancel and includes a 2-light square-headed window. North side of nave has two 3- light windows in same style as those on south front. Interior: Porch has ceiled and vaulted roof. South door is a 2-centred arch with chamfered surround and contains a studded plank door with applied panelled coverstrips, plain strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials and an oak lock-case; possibly heavily-restored original. Nave has plain ceiled vault and chancel has 3- bay Gothick false hammer beam roof with arch-braced trusses and raking queen struts. Plain chancel and tower arches. Timber gothic-style panelled screen across tower arch includes range of windows with gothic-style glazing bars. Timber gothic-style reredos has painted panels painted with sacred monograms and symbols of the Holy Trinity and is flanked by boards containing painted texts on painted ribbons with grapes or a wheat-sheath. Oak altar rail on wrought-iron supports featuring unusual floral decoration in brackets. C19 organ on south side of chancel with small plaque recording 'rebuilt by Geo.Oswald and Co. of Taunton'. Victorian stained glass in chancel. Accounts describe gothic-style pulpit and pews as 'modern' in 1848 and Norman-style Beerstone font is pre-1848. No monuments. Sources: Devon C19 Church Project.

Listing NGR: SS7875412160

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433784
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Devon Nineteenth Century Church Project,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02157/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].