CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, LEAKE ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260206.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:24:07.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, LEAKE ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 53633 30083
GOTHAM LEAKE ROAD
SK 53 SW
2/25 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1789, repaired 1869.
Dressed coursed rubble, and ashlar, red brick and render. Slate
roofs, the nave being hipped. Parapets and coped gables with
single ridge finial to the east chancel. Single stack to the
west wall of the north aisle. Buttressed apart from the tower.
Tower with spire, nave, aisles, south porch, north porch now
vestry, and chancel. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar C13 tower
set on a chamfered plinth with moulded band over of 3 stages with
bands, corbel table and broach spire. Spire with 2 tiers of 4
lucarnes, the lower with 2 lights. West moulded and chamfered
arched doorway with hood mould and C19 label stops. Single ogee
arched light over with hood mould. North side with single C13
lancet, south side with single similar larger lancet and 3
rectangular stair lights. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each
have 2 arched lights, plate tracery and hood moulds. Under the
south and north openings are single clock faces. The west wall
of the rendered north aisle has a single restored C14 arched 2
light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. The north wall has a single similar window lacking
the left label stop. To the left is the projecting rendered
vestry. The north wall has a single C14 arched 2 light window
with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. Inner double
chamfered arched doorway with hood mould human head label stops
and C18 panelled door. To theleft is a single C14 arched 2 light
window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label
stops. The east wall has a single C14 2 ight window with
reticulated tracery under a flat arch. In the dressed coursed
rubble and ashlar clerestory are 5 pointed segmental arched C15 3
light windows with cusped panel tracery, hood moulds and label
stops. The rendered chancel is set on a plinth to the north and
has 2 C14 arched windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped
lights, hood mould and label stops, that on the left is smaller.
The east end is on a deeper plinth and has a single restored
arched 3 light C15 window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould
and label stops. Over is a plaque inscribed "Repaired in
MDCCLXXXIX IK". The south chancel has a single window
corresponding to the north, to the left is a single C14 window
with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a
flat arch. Adjacent this wall are a single C18 and 2 C19 slate
headstones by Walkers and Winfield. The east wall of the ashlar
and rendered south aisle has a single early C14 arched 2 light
window with Y tracery, hood mould and human head label stops.
Adjacent are 2 C18 and 2 C19 slate headstones, one by Winfield
and one by Archer. The south wall has a single similar window,
hood mould and the remains of a single label stop. To the left
is the rendered and gabled porch with moulded arched entrance.
Inner chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and human head
label stops. Further left is a single arched C14 window with 2
arched lights, single quatrefoil, hood mould and human head label
stops. The west wall has a single C14 arched 2 light window with
reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The
clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. Early C13 south
5 bay arcade with circular columns, the westernmost column with
moulded capital, that to its east with waterleaf moulding, the
capital further east is decorated with single human head at each
corner, from each mouth sprout foliate tendrils. There is a band
of nailhead over. The easternmost capital has stiff leaf
moulding with a band of nailhead over. Double chamfered arches.
5 bay C14 north arcade with octagnal columns, moulded capitals
and double chamfered arches. The eastern respond being a carved
human head. Broach stops to the outer chamfer. Double
chamfered tower arch, octagonal responds with moulded capitals.
Double chamfered chancel arch with plain jambs. Inner order
supported on carved human heads. North chancel wall with remains
of foreshortened moulded arched tomb recess. South aisle, south
wall, with chamfered arched piscina. 2 carved oak chests,
remaining furniture C19 or C20, with C19 octagonal font with
quatrefoil panels. West nave with 2 C19 slate wall tablets.
South aisle has a memorial to Anne Borrow, 1799, the apron and
crown both decorated with single shields. That to Thomas Borrow,
1773, has a decorative shield on the apron and single decorative
urn on the crown flanked by single smaller urns. The memorial to
John Barrow, 1707, has a shaped crown topped with segmental
pediment surmounted by a small urn. There are 2 C18 slate wall
tablets. The memorial to Samuel Martin, 1775, has a small shield
on the apron and an urn surmounting the crown. Under this
memorial is a slate tablet with biblical text. The east chancel
has a wall tablet with moulded surround to Gergii Loxcroete,
1619. Above is a similar tablet surmounted by a painted shield.
There is a memorial to John Bridges, 1710, single Corinthian
pilasters flank the inscription and support a segmental pediment
topped with decorative shield. A carved angel's head supports
the apron. On the west chancel wall is a memorial to John
Foxcroft, 1662, the inscription is surmounted by a broken
pediment containing a decorative shield. On the north wall is a
memorial to John St. Andrew and his wife, 1625. The inscription
tablets flank a single central shield with strapwork decorating
the apron. Above and set into a niche are single kneeling male
and female figures facing one another with 3 further small
damaged kneeling figures and child in a cradle. Either side are
single Ionic columns supporting an entablature with single outer
decorative shields over and single central larger shield set into
an arched and cusped niche. On the south wall is an early C17
memorial to Will St. Andrew and his wives, some strapwork under
the inscription tablets, set into a recess above are 2 female
kneeling figures with 4 further small kneeling figures. Each of
the larger figures with arch over with decorated spandrels.
Either side are composite columns supporting an entablature.
Over and set into an arched niche is a single kneeling male
figure. Arch supported on pilaster strips and decorated with
strapwork. Over is a single decorative shield. 2 C17 floor
slabs in the chancel. North aisle roof with chamfered and C16
moulded beams. South aisle roof with C17 chamfered beams. Wall
tablet in north aisle detailing the re-pewing of the church and
the church wardens, 1835.
Listing NGR: SK5363130081
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing