This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1258304

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tixall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 444739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIXALL

603/19/43 CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST 10-JAN-72

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1849 by Wyatt & Brandon for J.C. Talbot.

MATERIALS: Local Tixall sandstone in regular courses, banded red and grey tile roofs, incorporating arcaded tiles.

PLAN: Nave with lower chancel, north aisle, south porch, north vestry.

EXTERIOR: In simple Decorated style, with steep roofs and gabled west bellcote with a single bell. The nave has 2-light and 1-light south windows, and 2-light west window. The porch entrance has continuous roll mouldings, and single roll mouldings to the nave south doorway. The aisle has a cusped 1-light west window and 3 cusped north windows. The chancel has 3-light geometrical east window and 2 cusped south windows. The low vestry has a lean-to roof.

INTERIOR: The north arcade has octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. The chancel arch, in C13 style, has corbelled stiff-leaf shafts. The nave has a 4-bay arched-brace roof on carved corbels and the chancel has a cradle roof. Windows have moulded rere arches; walls are plastered and the floor has Minton tiles, richer in the chancel, and wood-block floors below benches. In the centre of the nave is a lozenge pattern with encaustic tiles commemorating the building of the church and its patron.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The octagonal font has a continuous band of foliage around the bowl. Benches have panelled square ends and moulded tops. The stone polygonal pulpit has blind cusped arches with shafts. Stone steps have iron balusters. The heavy wooden communion rails have cusped diagonal bracing. The war-memorial rood beam, brought from Ingestre and cut to fit, was erected in 1921, with limewood figures by Robert Bridgeman & Sons of Lichfield. The principal but low-key memorial on the north wall of the chancel is to John Chetwynd Talbot (d 1852) and Caroline Talbot (d 1876), which are brass plates framed by trefoil arches on shafts. An oval tablet to Simon Wakelin (d 1697) was salvaged from the previous church. Chancel windows are by Bennet & Son of York (1849), patterns with small scenes of the life of St John (east) and of an officiating priest (south). The west window is by William Wailes (1852).

HISTORY: Parish church built in 1849 by T.H. Wyatt (1807-80) and David Brandon (1813-97), architects of London. It was originally intended to incorporate the private mausoleum of John Chetwynd Talbot, at whose expense the church was built in place of a Georgian church. Contractors were Mr Ward of Brocton and Mr Chatfield of Stafford.

SOURCES: A. Andrews, A History of Tixall, 1995, especially pp 74-91. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, 1974, p 282.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St John, Tixall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a small rural church of the mid C19 retaining original character and detail. * It retains a largely unaltered mid C19 interior, including good-quality stained glass.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/221805
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13651

National Grid Reference: SJ 97882 22836

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:32:11.

End of official listing