This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

List entry Number: 1253307

Location

CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, A367
CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, FOSSE WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stratton on the Fosse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436478

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following shall be added to the list:

STRATTON ON THE FOSSE FOSSEWAY ST 65 SE (A367) 5/10 CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT RC Church II

Catholic church and school (school now closed) 1857. By Charles Francis Hansom. Coursed squared limestone with slate roofs. The school is to the left and the church the right. The street elevation has a two storey gable to left, two lancets below with buttress between, modern sash window above, trefoil in gable. Quoins, coped gabled with cross. Modern dormer on return. Centre range is recessed with a 4-light mullion and transom window with trefoil heads. Gabled porch with cross. Two gabled dormers with 2-light windows above. East gable end of chancel to right with 3-light Decorated window. Left return of school in 3 bays with plain windows and half dormers. Church: single vessel with north porch and tower. Plain 2 and 3-light windows with cusped heads. Two stage tower. Decorated 2-light window to ground and similar openings to bell stage. Pyramid lead roof. Interior with plain wagon roof, choir with compart- mented roof. Plain furnishings. Reredos and rood loft by Don Aethelbert Horne c.1914. The church is an interesting example of rural Catholic evangelism built by the adjacent Downside Abbey in an area lacking an historical Catholic presence. Original drawings at Downside Abbey.

Listing NGR: ST6579150870

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 65791 50864

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 03:01:21.

End of official listing