CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250872.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 01:39:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Devon (District Authority)
- Stockleigh English
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 85015 06332
STOCKLEIGH ENGLISH STOCKLEIGH ENGLISH
SS 80 NE
7/225 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Small parish church. C14 nave and chancel, late C15 tower, restored 1878-1883 and early C20 replacement roof. Stone rubble walls, mostly mudstone and some volcanic trap; volcanic ashlar dressings and detail; slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Mostly Perpendicular. Unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages with chamfered volcanic plinth, plain dripmould and embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles on each corner. Large 2-light belfry windows are now partly blocked and unrestored cinquefoil-headed window to ringing floor on south side. West side of tower has unrestored flat-arched volcanic doorway with chamfered surround and has relief cross in keystone of relieving arch above. Above doorway is 2-light Perpendicular window with restored tracery and hoodmould. Stair turret projects square from north side of tower and rises only as high as drip course. On south side the nave projects slightly from the tower and the kneeler and coping may be original. The plinth continues to nave but stops after approximately 1 metre. Rest of south wall has been much rebuilt in random rubble. C19 south porch of snecked stone (mostly volcanic). It is gabled and contains a narrow 2-centred outer arch. Both south nave windows are largely original. To left of porch is volcanic double lancet, each light with trefoil head, with restored moulded reveals and low- arched head. To right of porch is volcanic 3-light window with ogee heads and original hoodmould. Chancel is slightly narrower and lower than nave. Its south side has 2 square-headed lancets with trefoil heads and sunken spandrels, both little restored and of volcanic ashlar. East end of chancel is large 1878-83 work including the sandstone kneelers, coping and apex cross, and the sandstone 3-light Perpendicular-style window and hoodmould. Blind north side to chancel. Nave projects slightly from chancel and north front includes a primitive 3-light volcanic ashlar Perpendicular window at left (east) end; flat-arched head, 2 vertical mullions with flat arches between and hoodmould - probably C17. Rest of wall rebuilt blind in C19 with snecked stone. Interior: south porch has C19 wagon roof with moulded ribs. South doorway is restored volcanic ashlar 2-centred arch with chamfered surround and contains a restored C15 oak studded door with moulded cover strips, and on inside preserves the top original wrought iron strap hinge with foliate fleur-de-lys finial, and the original oak lock. Early C20 roofs to nave and chancel with cross-braced trusses. High,almost round-headed plain tower arch is original C15. C19 rebuilt ringing floor and C15 segmental-headed volcanic doorway to tower stairs. 1878-1883 gothic- style timber chancel arch. Chancel floor has late C17-early C18 black and white marble flags set in chequer pattern at east end and late C19 encaustic tiles under altar. Nottingham alabaster gothic-style reredos and similar style altar, dated 1885, with alabaster top and carved timber gothic-style blind arcading across front. Altar rails, stalls, lectern, pulpit (dated 1884) and tower screen, all late C19 gothic-style. Contemporary pews apparently made from sections of C18 pews. Probably medieval font of granite with hollow-chamfered plinth circular stem and octagonal bowl. North side of nave includes group of marble mural memorials to Bellew family of nearby Stockleigh Court (q.v.); notably the William Bellew memorial of 1789 which comprises a grey-black rectangular plaque flanked by white marble pilasters given a fluted effect by inlaid strips of coloured marble and with moulded caps enhanced with acanthus, moulded entablature surmounted by a cartouche, and lower apron from which crossed frond decoration has been removed. Others to William Bellew, d.1772, of white and grey marble with cartouche on top and another William Bellew, d.1826, featuring a rectangular marble plaque with carved Beerstone gothic- style surround with ogee-headed arch with crocketted finials. Over south door are worn painted arms to one of early King Georges. Sources: Devon SMR
Listing NGR: SS8501506332
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing