This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1249757



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 431970

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 3076 11/147


GV II* Bus garage, ancillary service buildings and offices. 1952-53 by Adie, Button and Partners with Thomas Bilbow, for London Transport Executive. A E Beer, engineer. Reinforced concrete with some brick cladding and brick offices.

Rectangular shed of ten arches linked by longitudinal H-beams containing services; with cantilevered barrel vaults between, topped by large skylights and crossed by smaller ribs to prevent torsion on ruin arches. Nine bays, main arches expressed externally as outward-leaning buttresses, with a segmental curve to each bay forming a flowing roof line.

Facade to Lansdowne Way has double folding doors to central end bays, other bays with glazing of twenty vertical lights; all have similarly-glazed segmental toplights with central louvres over. End walls have fully-glazed segmental gables of 84 vertical lights, that to right with double folding door below to right, that to left with fourteen five-light metal windows below. Facade to Binfield Road has six bays in pairs with double folding doors; facade marked from road by servicing and decking pits, and workshop and office accommodation angled on Binfield Road. One storey workshops to left of seven bays with four-light metal casements; offices and canteen to right of two storeys and eight bays with right return to entrance driveway of seven bays with central double door: four-light casements below, tall two-light casements of eight square panes above. Ribbed and vaulted construction fully exposed and expressed in garage interior.

Architect and Building News, 12 November 1953, pp 579-82. Architect's Journal, 31 December 1953, pp 820-2. The National Builder, January 1954, pp198-9.

Listing NGR: TQ3035976686

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The National Builder' in January, (1954), 198-9
'Architect and Building News' in 12 November, (1953), 579-82
31 December, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30359 76686


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 07:07:21.

End of official listing