CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248030.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 19:05:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
- Huish Champflower
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 04910 29200
ST02NW HUISH CHAMPFLOWER CP
HUISH CHAMPFLOWER VILLAGE
11/97 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C15, north aisle c1534 probably including reset Cl4-C15 work, tower arch 1703, reopened 1846, restored 1875-80 when chancel arch rebuilt. Squared rubble local stone, tower and west end of aisle roughcast, Ham and red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, plain verges. West tower with stair turret, 4-bay nave with north aisle, north chapel, south porch, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage diagonally buttressed tower with plinth, string course, 2-light louvred bell-openings with blocked trefoil headed statue niches resting on string course, similar blocked niche with hoodmould to second stage, 3-light west window, moulded arch west doorway with C20 door, crenellated south-east stair turret; buttressed south front, one 3-light window left and 2 right of single storey gabled porch, double chamfered arch dying into imposts in outer doorway, moulded arched inner doorway, C19 door, fine slate headstone on right return of porch to Robert Bucknell, died 1772, inscribed "John Yandell cut it, Wiveliscombe 1772"; 2-light windows under square hoodmoulds flanking chamfered priests door, 3-light east window, very fine 6-light east window to aisle, set back buttresses, 3-light cinquefoil headed window, rood stair turret projection with 2 lancets, moulded, blocked doorway, 4-light window, hoodmould with face terminals, 2 buttresses, 3-light window under square hoodmould, 4-light west window to aisle. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 chancel arch, chamfered tower arch with exposed quoins 4-bay arcade of 8 clustered colonnettes with double chamfered arches and alternating leafband and acanthus leaf capitals; plain chamfer to semi-circular arch between chapel and chancel; chamfered semi-circular arch stair turret door. C19 roofs, scissor truss to chancel, boarded ribbed wagon roof with bosses in nave and chancel. C19 encaustic tile reredos. Nave carved eagle lectern, early C18; C18 altar rails, 2 twisted to one fluted with moulded handrail swept down at either end. Some medieval stained glass east window of aisle, east window of chancel memorial to deceased 1872, lancet in chancel signed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1915. Circular Norman font with ribbed C17 pointed cover. Collection of memorials, draped urn on tablet to Sarah Darch died 1808, with panel below, similar but half size to Richard Darch; pedimented tablet with inverted torches to Alexander Webber of Gathealton Court, Bathealton CP (qv), died 1844; tablet to William Goot, died 1796, signed W Long, Taunton; marble tablet in chancel to Mary Clerk, died 174- with carved heart set on top in normal position of coat of arms; tablets to members of the Guppy family, signed Richards, Wiveliscombe. The majority of the floor of the north aisle has been concreted over. The east window of the aisle and the arcade are said to have come from Barlynch Priory, Brompton Regis CP (qv); and a bequest was made for a new aisle (ambulatorius) in 1534. (VCB Somerset, Vol 5, 1985; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Photograph in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST0491029210
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing