CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1247824
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BANK SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247824.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 02:30:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BANK SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Dulverton
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 91460 28003

Details

SS9127 DULVERTON CP BAK SQUARE (North side) SS92NW

9/60 Church of All Saints 15/60

6.4.59

GV II*

Parish church, Tower C15, extensively restored 1853-5 when rest of church rebuilt by Edward Ashworth, bui1ders, Samuel Shewbrooks of Taunton, sanctuary redecorated and organ given 1873-4. Squared rubble local stone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, octagonal crenellated chimney in south-west corner of south aisle, West tower, south-west porch, north-west vestry, north and south aisles, 4-bay nave, north-east vestry, south-east chapel, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light louvred bell-openings, lancet resting on string course on south face below clock, 3-liqht west window, chamfered pointed arch west door; crenellated single storey porch approached by flight of 3 steps, 2-light west window, moulded arched doorway on south front, similar inner doorway, 3-light window to west end of crenellated south aisle, decorative merlons, four 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, door to basement for boiler room end bay left with wrought iron railings enclosing bay, crenellated polygonal stair turret, 3-light chancel windows flanking priests door approached by lateral flight of steps, decorative rainwater head with date, east end 4-light windows to aisles flanking 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, 3-light west window, door below. Interior: rendered. Moulded pointed chancel arch with angel corbels, similar tower arch; open ribbed barrel vault roofs with bosses; good example of oak rood screen given 1902 by Mrs Snow, 2:1:2 bays with rood above, continued as 5-bay screen to chapel with rood stair; low screen between central bays of chancel and chapel to south, vestry north with organ. West vestry with singing gallery over. Bath stone reredos with crocketed niches for Ten Commandments 1873-5. C19 stained glass of varying quality, good west window, unfortunate east window dated 1864. Brass in north aisle to Humphrey Sydenham died 1710, marble tablet to his nanesake died 1757; in tower convex oval tablet with putti surround to Robert Kingford died 1790; and other tablets. C19 fittings including Perpendicular style font and pretty brass coronet light mantles. Lectern given 1912. Royal coat of arms, painted on wood, dated 1714. Ashworth was the Exeter Diocesan architect. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9146028003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429209
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10246/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Downes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].