THE WARNEFORD HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245464
Date first listed:
15-May-1997
Statutory Address:
THE WARNEFORD HOSPITAL, WARNEFORD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245464.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:23:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE WARNEFORD HOSPITAL, WARNEFORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP5376406068

Details

SP 50 NW 612/24/10040

OXFORD WARNEFORD LANE, Headington The Warneford Hospital

II

Mental hospital. 1821-26; by Richard Ingleman of Southwell; as the Oxford Lunatic Asylum; extended 1852 by J.C. Buckler and in 1877 by William Wilkinson and in 1887. Headington stone ashlar; centre of SW front of original range rendered. Slate hipped roofs. Ashlar stacks with moulded cornices. PLAN: The original 1821-6 asylum facing SW comprises a long symmetrical range, the 3-storey centre block containing a central entrance hall flanked at the front by male and female parlours and staircases and at the back a central reception room and offices of the governor and matron. The lower flanking 2-storey male and female wings have axial galleries [wide corridors] at the front and patients` rooms behind; the ends of the wings project and contained the day rooms for the violent. The wings were extended in 1852. At the front there were male and female airing courts for the "superior class" and at the back there were 2nd and 3rd class airing courts and a central passage to a service block. In 1877 the service block was replaced by a new front block with an entrance hall and waiting rooms in a single-storey front range and a 2-storey block behind with a recreation hall and a large clock-tower behind in a French chateau style. The extensions included a female wing to the NW, but the male wing to the SE was not built until 1887-90. EXTERIOR: SW front of original 1821-26 asylum: 3:6:7:6:3 bays, the 7-bay centre block is three storeys, the centre three bays break forward with a pediment, cross-mullion-transom iron windows with glazing bars in chamfered openings, ground and first floor replaced by sashes [except for centre first floor], later C19 2-storey bow windows to left and right of centre and central doorway with stone porch with 4-centred arch; 2-storey flanking wings, the end three bays project; the rear has 3-storey bow at centre and 2-storey bows to left and right; bows also on the ends. The original range is attached to the 1877 extension by a single-storey corridor; north east front has single-storey front range with central portico with pairs of pilasters, carved pediment and round-arch doorway, pilastered bays to right and left with arched lights and lantern above; 2-storey recreation hall behind and behind that a large clock tower with a steep hipped roof with ironwork cresting and aedicules breaking the eaves with clock faces; flanking single-storey wings with bow windows and large 2-storey outer wings also with bows. INTERIOR: The original 1821-6 range has central reception room with bow window to corridor, simple chimneypiece, mahogany cupboard and Gothick style safe; female parlour has chimneypiece with consoles and hatch to corridor; staircases with stick balusters and wreathed mahogany handrail; corridor with arched partitions and panelled and glazed doors. Main entrance in 1877 addition has lantern over polygonal vestibule which contains seated marble statue of Dr Warneford by Peter Hollins, 1840; recreation hall has elaborate trusses cutting through a deep cornice and a carved stone chimneypiece. NOTE: It was planned to build an asylum at the Radcliffe Infirmary, but it was built on this site instead. Originally known as the Oxford Lunatic Asylum, then the Radcliffe Asylum and after 1843 as the Warneford Lunatic Asylum. It was intended for non-pauper patients; there were three classes who would pay according to their financial circumstances. SOURCES: Buildings of England, pp 337-338. Parry-Jones, B., The Warneford Hospital, Oxford 1826-1976.

Listing NGR: SP5376406068

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468687
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parry Jones, B, The Warneford Hospital Oxford 1826-1976
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 337-338

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15818/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].