CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1245457
Date first listed:
12-May-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245457.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:21:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Blaby (District Authority)
Parish:
Whetstone
National Grid Reference:
SP5576797528

Details

SP 59 NE 1787/1/10002 07.10.57

WHETSTONE CHURCH LANE (east, off) CHURCH OF ST PETER

I

Parish church. C13, rebuilt 1335, altered c1500 and late C18, restored 1856 by Parsons and Dain, further restoration after collapse of spire 1895-97 by Goddard, Paget & Goddard and minor early C20 alterations. Local rubble stone with ashlar dressings and some brick buttresses. Slate and copper roofs, chamfered plinth and continuous cill band. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, west tower with spire, north porch, south aisle and vestry. West tower with angle buttresses and tall octagonal stone spire, rebuilt 1856, with two sets of lucarnes, top of spire renewed 1947. Pointed arch west doorway, second stage has 2-light chamfered and pointed arch windows with Y-tracery to north and south, bell stage has single 2-light chamfered and pointed arch openings and reticulated tracery to each face. Tower topped with battlements, corner pinnacles and gargoyles. North facade has 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery to right, then gabled porch with pointed arch doorway to west. Then 3 pointed arch windows with early C19 intersecting iron tracery with buttresses between, and a single very large C18 brick buttress with 6 set-offs, and above to right a single small 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery. East end has single 5-light 4-centred arch window with panel tracery flanked by angle corner buttresses partly re-built in brick. South facade has single 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery to chancel. Lean-to vestry has central buttress and doorway to left. To west slightly set-back aisle with off-centre pointed arch chamfered doorway with to right two 2-light flat headed windows all with buttresses between. Above single clerestory window, formerly a small pointed arch window with reticulated tracery. INTERIOR has 4 bay south arcade with double chamfered arches, octagonal piers and responds. Former chancel arch has octagonal responds with ornately carved capitals and rood beam added 1919. Triple arched sedilia with moulded arches and head stops, plus arched piscina. C16 timber roof altered C19. Wooden panelled pulpit probably 1826. East window has stained glass by Morris & Co 1935.

Listing NGR: SP5576797528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468675
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02137/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].