CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1243899
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1977
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1243899.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:06:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Haslemere
National Grid Reference:
SU 90307 33422

Details

HASLEMERE

915/1/10 CHURCH GREEN 19-SEP-1977 CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

II

Church, sited in a residential area, set in a large churchyard, associated with a former school. Tower probably C13, remainder mostly a rebuilding by J. W. Penfold in Early English style.

Exterior: Rock-faced rubble with tiled roofs. Old headstones have been cut into the nave walling. W tower, probably C13. Nave and chancel with 4-bay N and S aisles, separately roofed. SW porch. NE organ chamber and, to its E a later vestry projecting forward from the E wall of the church. The church is linked to a former school, now containing the parish office, on the SE side. Buttressed chancel with a stepped triple lancet. The S side of the chancel has 2 pairs of lancets and 2 probably late C19 gabled roof dormers of a domestic character with carved bargeboards and pairs of trefoil-headed timber windows. Buttressed aisles, the S aisle with a stepped triple lancet E window in the W end and 2-light plate-traceried S windows. Both aisles have a pair of lancets and quatrefoil above in their W ends. The N aisle has one lancet and plate traceried 2-light windows. A low probably C20 timber-framed porch block with hipped roof off the N wall of the aisle at its E end is connected to a link to the former school. Very plain W tower with small chamfered windows and one large lancet in the W wall. The belfry stage is later and has a pyramidal roof with a weathervane. Between the N wall of the tower and the N aisle a section of walling contains 2 doorways, one over the other, with a probably C20 flight of steps across the W wall giving access to the upper doorway. The NE vestry block has rainwater head dated 1888 but has evidently been extended later. A stack with paired polygonal chimney shafts rises against the N wall of the chancel. Late C19 or early C20 timber-framed porch with open traceried sides with later glazing. A secondary screen wall with doorway divides the porch into two.

Interior: Moulded C19 chancel arch on marble shafts on stone bases. C19 double-chamfered tower arch. Arcades with circular piers with moulded capitals and very wide double-chamfered arches. Good open crown post roof to the nave with moulded tie beams, the crown post with 2-way bracing. The aisle roofs are arch braced. The chancel roof is arch braced. The dormer windows in the chancel probably post-date the roof as the rafters extend across the openings. The E window has internal marble shafts to the openings. Reredos of three mosaic panels in a stone frame decorated with fleurons. Polychromatic alabaster and marble dado decorated with lozenges extends across the E wall on either side of the reredos. Conventional brass and timber sanctuary rail; encaustic tiles to the chancel floor. Probable late C19 choir stalls with shouldered ends, finials and frontals with a frieze of pierced trefoils. C20 choir stalls in the SE end of the S aisle. Late C19 or early C20 polygonal timber pulpit with linenfold panelled sides. Unusual 1870 polychromatic marble font with a deep moulded bowl on a short shaft with a carved capital and taller corner shafts with capitals. C19 nave benches with chunky curved ends. Gothic organ case incorporates a fine and unusual c.1900 Morris and Co tapestry of angel musicians. Panels of probably C17 Flemish glass leaded into the W window of the N aisle. Tennyson memorial window illustrating the Holy Grail by Morris and Co., designed Burne-Jones, 'dedicated by some friends and neighbours in Haslemere'. Many other C19 stained glass windows, some, including S chancel windows, of very good quality. Several early C19 and later wall plaques. Enormous alabaster wall monument to James Stewart Hodgson, d. 1899, in the chancel with 3 female figures carved in relief, signed P Cockerell and A Fabrucci.

St Bartholomew's, Waverley retains its probably C13 west tower, but it was substantially rebuilt in 1871 in the Early English style by J. W. Penfold. It has a number of interesting internal features including its good open crown post roof to the nave, a polychromatic font of 1870 and of greatest interest, a Tennyson memorial window designed by Burne-Jones and a fine tapestry on the organ chest depicting angel musicians by Morris and Co.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
448383
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00450/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Linney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].