CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1242913
Date first listed:
28-Sep-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST, SHERBORNE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242913.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:52:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST, SHERBORNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63414 52747

Details

The following building shall be added:-

BASINGSTOKE SU65SW SHERBORNE ROAD (East side) 2/10003 Church of the Holy Ghost

- II

Roman Catholic church. 1902. By and for Canon A.J.C. Scoles. Dressed flint with ashlar dressings; some red brick in stretcher bond; Roman tile roof. 5 bay nave, the eastern bay having northern transept, comprising Lady Chapel, and southern entrance by Presbytery. Asidal, sanctuary (9 windows). Octagonal bell tower on south side, in angle with Presbytery. In High Victorian Gothic style following the Early English style and having offset butresses; 2-light plate-traceried windows with hoodmoulds, single-light windows to apse, and west window of 3 stepped lights with attached columns. West end: entrance has architrave of 3 orders and tympanum with low-relief carving; 3 blind recesses pierced with quatrefoils; gable cross. Lady Chapel: gabled, with statue of Madonna amd child in niche over window, gable cross, and pentafoil west and east windows. Bell tower: chamfered plinth; quoined angles; moulded bands; stair lit by single-light windows; louvred lights to bell stage; corbelled eaves band; slate spire with slender cross. INTERIOR: richly painted and decorated by N.H.J. Westlake, (stations of cross c1930), the paintings restored 1991-92. In the Sanctuary and Lady Chapel polished marble columns support decorative archivolts. Polished stone altars and reredoses and, at east end, tabernacle for cross. Vaulted roof to Sanctuary. Compartmental roof to nave with foliate capitals carrying vaults. Decoratively-carved stone font and pulpit (1928). Decorative brass lanterns. In one of the souther nave windows is inset a piece of early-mid C16 glass, originally from the chapel at Vyne House, Basingstoke. West gallery inserted c1965; pews replaced mid-late 20.

Canon Scoles also designed and built churches at Bridgewater and Yeovil (in his previous diocese of Clifton), and a western extension for Portsmouth Roman Catholic Cathedral (q.v.). This church in Basingstoke is the last and best of his work. On his death in 1920 he was buried next to the Sanctuary. The tombstone commemorates Canon A.J.C. Scoles, d1920, architect and patron of the church; stepped ridged gravestone with roll mouldings, moulded gablets and surmounted by crucifixion; it is situated in the angle of the Lady Chapel and Sanctuary.

Listing NGR: SU6223851421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444008
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02463/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. Bridger. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].