This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS

List entry Number: 1242002

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Stoke-on-Trent

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 84 SE STOKE ON TRENT CHURCH LANE, Hanford

613-0/6/10018 Church of St Matthias II Anglican church. 1862 chancel added by T. H. Rushworth; remainder rebuilt in 1868 by Charles Lynam. Flemish and English bond red brick and stone dressings. Plain clay tile roofs with gabled ends and eaves with exposed rafter ends. High Victorian Gothic chancel added in 1862; existing church rebuilt in 1868 comprising 5-bay nave with a gallery at the west end, north and south aisles, small south west tower and south porch. EXTERIOR: The aisles have 1,2 and 3-light stone lancets and the clerestory windows have 2 lights with shouldered heads. 4-light west window with plate tracery. Small brick tower on south west comer with timber lattice belfry and short pyramidal tiled spire with weathervane. Two-centred arch south doorway with plank doors with wrought-iron hinges and large open timber porch with wrought-iron gates. The chancel has large buttresses with weathered and gableted set-offs, continuous moulded strings which forms cills and hoods to small lancets, moulded stone eaves cornice, triple lancet east window with hoodmould. INTERIOR: Unaltered interior with exposed brick walls and arch-braced nave roof 5-bay north and south arcades with chamfered brick 2-centred arches on piers with blue brick shafts and moulded stone capitals. Gallery at west end with wooden lattice balustrade. Chancel has stone vaulted roof with transverse ribs and clerestory with round-arch arcade on squat colonnettes with carved capitals; chancel arch is on similar colonnettes on corbels and the east window's triple lancets have shafts and moulded arches. Furnishings intact including inlaid marble reredos, Gothic stone pulpit, choir stalls with wrought-iron stanchions, benches and encaustic floor tiles. SOURCE: Buildings of England, Staffordshire, p.266.

Listing NGR: SJ8691742674

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 266

National Grid Reference: SJ 86917 42674

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:05:15.

End of official listing