ROYAL EARLSWOOD HOSPITAL, ORIGINAL BUILDING (BLOCKS 13-21)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1241446
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1990
Statutory Address:
ROYAL EARLSWOOD HOSPITAL, ORIGINAL BUILDING (BLOCKS 13-21), ASYLUM ARCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241446.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:33:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL EARLSWOOD HOSPITAL, ORIGINAL BUILDING (BLOCKS 13-21), ASYLUM ARCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28101 48659

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/06/2012

TQ 24 NE 26/272

REDHILL ASYLUM ARCH ROAD Royal Earlswood Hospital, Original Building (Blocks 13-21)

II

Hospital for people with learning disabilities. Designed by W B Moffatt in 1852 and the 1st asylum in the British Isles built to cater specifically for those with learning disabilities. Previously people with learning disabilities had been put with the mentally ill in lunatic asylums or workhouses. The Rev Dr Andrew Reed believed that they could be trained by careful teaching to lead a relatively normal life in the outside world, working and caring for themselves. This was a charitable foundation paid for by London livery companies. The builder was Mr Jay, the contractor for the Houses of Parliament and the foundation stone was laid by Prince Albert in 1852. Jacobean style, built on a quadrilinear plan orientated south east for fresh air and sunlight. Built of red brick with Bath stone dressings with some Reigate stone to the rear elevation but internal courts entirely faced in stock brick. There is some evidence that the building was originally clad in Reigate stone which was replaced c. 1855. It seems very unlikely that the stone would have been replaced so quickly so perhaps the plans had been altered from building in stone to brick slate roofs, now without chimney stacks. The main or south east front has a central feature of a 5 storey, 90 foot high tower, the top storey of Bath stone with pierced balustrade, 3 round-headed windows and pilasters and similar features below but in red brick. Central 2 storey 3 bay entrance with pierced parapet and curved pediment with blank shield. 1st floor has coupled pilasters and ground floor has recessed portion with 6 Tuscan piers and a flight of steps. On either side in a 3 storey wing with 3 light mullioned windows and to either side are 2 storey semi-basement and attic extensions. The attic storey has 6 mullioned and transomed windows with curved stone pediments. Octagonal roof features with parapets terminating in square taver with pediment and deep moulded. Below are 7 windows with central full height bays and portico and steps on either side in the angle. At each side breaking forward is a 3 storey section with elaborate square tower with pierced balustrading facing inwards and plainer tavers with full height bays facing outwards. South west front has central feature of 2 storeys and attics with 3 curved pediments and tuscan portico flanked by 3 storey towers, 2 storey wings either side terminating in 2 storey towers. Similar treatment to north west front. North west front has some traces of Reigate stone facing and has the later C19 brick isolation hospital unit on to it which is not of special interest. The interior has an entrance hall with imperial staircase of Hopton Wood stone with baluster and paired fluted pilasters. On the landing is a niche containing a bust of the founder the Rev Dr Andrew Reed. Doorcases with carved overmantels and marble fireplace with brackets and round-headed arch. Great hall with hammerbeam roof and pierced gallery with organ decorated with Coats of Arms. Tower has elaborate warden gallery and Board Room has panelled ceiling. Subsidiary staircases are of cast iron in a Chinoiserie derived pattern.

Listing NGR: TQ2810148659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440516
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13994/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].