CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1236575
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, SMANNELL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236575.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:43:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, SMANNELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Smannell
National Grid Reference:
SU 38027 48934

Details

In the entry for

2/87 ANDOVER SMANNELL ROAD Christchurch The entry shall be amended to read:

SMANNELL ROAD Christ Church

------------------------------------ SU 34 NE ANDOVER SMANNELL ROAD 2/87 Christchurch II 1857, and 1894, by William White. Single cell nave and chancel, with half-hexagon apse; arcade on the north side of the nave giving onto the north aisle (rebuilt 1894) and a transept, small vestry, south porch. Externally, the tile roof is of simple form, hipped at the east end and gabled to aisle, transept and west end, where the nave gable is raised, to form a staged belfry. Walling is of flint with a series of brick bands, quoins, jambs, stepped buttresses, and plinth (moulded on buttresses). Windows of 1.2 and 3 lights, with stonework used for cusped heads, plate tracery and mullions. The porch has heavy timber-framing, on a high brick wall with stepped buttresses. Within, the yellow brick walling has red brick bands and dado, the pointed arches are formed of several brick bands and rest on plain tapered square caps, above slender but short columns. The roof has open timber-framing, ceiled above the collar level. Plain octagonal stone font; wrought-iron candelabra, dado panelling to the apse, and at the west end 4 panels of the Prescriptions (of the early Cl9).

Listing NGR: SU3656546197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
427596
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15261/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Matthews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].