ST JOHN'S SMITH SQUARE CONCERT HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1236250
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S SMITH SQUARE CONCERT HALL, SMITH SQUARE SW1

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236250.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:14:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S SMITH SQUARE CONCERT HALL, SMITH SQUARE SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30111 79111

Details

TQ3079 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER SMITH SQUARE, SW1 101/75 24.2.58 St John's Smith Square Concert Hall (formerly listed as Church of St John the Evangelist) G.V. I Former parish church, now concert hall. 1713-28 by Thomas Archer, remodelled internally after fire in 1742, burnt out in World War II and restored to its early C.18 state 1965-68 by Marshall Sisson. Portland stone, leaded roofs. Very bold and typically idiosyncratic Baroque, reflecting Archer's direct experience of continental Baroque. Island site in centre of square. Modified Greek cross with re-entrant angles screened by rusticated convex quadrants; north and south pedimented porticoes, the composition dominated by 4 unique corner towers. The porticoes, approached by broad flights of steps with retaining walls surmounted by wrought iron lampstandards, have gigantic Tuscan columns in antis and great broken pediments framing columned and pilastered aedicules with their own broken pediments; within porticoes: eared architrave doorways and semicircular arched windows. The east and west ends have giant Venetian windows framed by giant pilasters; attic over with flanking volutes and a broken pediment framing a pedimented attic niche. The towers are circular and pierced with Corinthian columns flanking the openings diagonally, entablature curved out above them and crowning ogee cupolas. Internally there are lobbies behind the porticoes; the east and west ends are screened by broad arches on giant Corinthian columns and 2 further pairs of columns stand forward from the curved corners of the nave proper carrying an entablature supporting a barrel vault with a quoin vault over the centre of the nave, reintroducing the Greek cross plan internally; wooden Ionic columns carry galleries behind the giant columns. Renewed plain leaded glass to the windows. Brick groin valuted crypt. St. John's is the climax of the exceptionally well preserved early C.18 enclave comprising the north side of Smith Square and Lord North, Barton and Cowley Streets q.v.

Listing NGR: TQ3011279110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
427199
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03604/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].