Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232860.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:33:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Boston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 23753 40193



4/84 Church of St. Mary 26.1.67 G.V. I

Parish church. c.1300, early C14, late C14, C15, 1767, chancel rebuilt 1848 by Stephen Lavin. Squared limestone rubble and ashlar. Lead roofs. Western tower with spire, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. Tall 3 stage late C14 ashlar tower with stepped corner buttresses having crocketed gablettes, topped by battlemented parapet. Set back tall spire, with octagonal battlemented base, having paired ogee openings to each face. 2 tiers of lucarnes. Angled stair turret on south-west corner. C18 panelled west door in a continuously moulded surround of 4 orders. Above a 2 light window with C14 cusped curvilinear tracery. To the belfry stage single large 3 light transomed panel traceried lights cusped with continuously moulded surrounds. C15 north aisle west window 4 light with panel tracery, in chamfered surround. In the north wall are 5 similar 4 light windows with beyond a further truncated window with a blocked cambered priest's door beneath. C14 north door retaining original reticulated traceried decoration and muntins with continuously moulded pointed surround. 6 C14 2 light clerestorey windows, with reticulated tracery, corbel table with grotesque heads, battlemented parapet. On the north face of the tower a painted clock face dated 1767. In the east aisle wall the window matches the west. The C19 chancel and vestry contain 3 and 4 light windows in C15 style. Both have embattled parapet, the vestry with a massive octagonal stack. In the east nave wall are 2 small 2 light windows at high level. The east window is of 5 lights and panel traceried. The south side of the chancel has a pointed doorway and 3 four light windows with elaborate panel tracery and moulded heads. At the east end of the nave is a facetted stair tower with lantern. C14 south aisle having 4 light reticulated windows, one each to the east and the west and 6 to the south. All with chamfered surrounds. Clerestorey matches that to the north. Gabled C14 porch with octagonal reveals to double chamfered outer arch, ballflower capitals. The side walls have 5 crocketed canopies separated by pinnacles containing geometric figures. The south door is C14 with reticulated tracery and ogee wicket set in a wave moulded pointed arch. c.1300 6 bay nave arcades, with filleted quatrefoil piers with annular capitals and square bases, pointed triple chamfered arches with human head stops, C14 tower with eastern side arches, sunk wave mouldings to reveals, and moulded triple stepped heads, 8 ribbed vault to tower with bell rope circle. Steeply pointed chancel arch with triple engaged shafts and annular capitals. C14 nave roof with braced tie beams, queen posts and passing braces. C15 north aisle roof with moulded principals and rafters. C14 south aisle roof, with principals and purlins. Single statue brackets in the aisles. Cl9 chancel has door to vestry in north wall, and piscina. Hammerbeam roof supported on carved stone corbels. East window stained glass by Clayton and Bell 1875. Fittings. C19 carved wooden reredos altar rails and choir stalls. C15 oak chancel screen of 6 paired lights with central cusped ogee opening. Panel tracery, brattished top beam. C19 pulpit. Plain C14 octagonal font with slightly concave panels. Commandment boards. Monuments. In the chancel black marble wall plaque to Sir John Lockton, d.1610, of Swineshead Abbey, beneath a repositioned alabaster frieze of weepers.

Listing NGR: TF2374840193


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00513/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].