This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1231852

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Padbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407106

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 7230 PADBURY CHURCH LANE

10/101 Church of St. Mary the Virgin

13/7/66 II*

Parish church. C13 nave, chancel and W. tower. C14 aisles, C16 alterations, tower rebuilt C17. Much restored 1830 and 1882. Late C19 S. porch. Early C20 vestry to N. side of tower. Coursed rubble stone, flat lead roof to nave and aisles, tiled roof to chancel. W. tower of three stages with plinth, parapet, pointed openings to bell-chamber, tall arched W. door with modern round headed window above. Nave has rendered clerestory : three round cusped C14 windows to N., four 3-light Perpendicular windows to S., much restored, with blind circular window to centre over porch. S. aisle has paired lancets to W. wall, Perpendicular windows to S. and E. walls. C14 S. door, restored, with continuous moulded arch and jambs and earlier label with nailhead ornament and carved head stops. N. aisle has Decorated windows. Chancel has small low lancets to W. and 2-light windows to E., that to N. with Y tracery that to S. Decorated.3-light E. window with reticulated tracery. Interior: tower has triple chamfered arch on carved head corbels. Nave of four bays: double chamfered arcade on octagonal piers with moulded caps, end arches on corbels, some with carved heads. Early C13 chancel arch, rebuilt, on piers with wide segmental pilasters. Roofs have some original timbers, restored C17, C18 and C19. Chancel has small aumbry and cusped ogee piscina in S. wall. S. aisle has two trefoiled piscinas, one with dogtooth ornament. C14 figurative wall paintings in spandrels of S. arcade and wall of N. aisle. Altar table dated 1634. Other fittings late C19. Early C20 glass. C18 wall tablets in chancel.

RCHM II pp 231-3



Listing NGR: SP7214130921

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 72141 30921

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 09:07:23.

End of official listing