This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1230776

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, DUDLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Himley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 405806

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIMLEY C.P. DUDLEY ROAD (north SO 89 SE side) 5/55 Church of St. Michael (formerly listed as Church 27.6.63 of St Michael Arch Angel) GV II Parish church. Dated 1764. Cement rendered and lined as ashlar; plain tile roof with coped verges. West tower, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel, south- east vestry. Simple classical building;most of the windows have keyed semi- circular arches springing from imposts and,leaded lights. West tower of 4 stages marked by bands, with coved parapet band and plain parapet. West door with raised key. Windows of the upper 2 stages are louvred. Datestone over west window of second stage. Nave and chancel: pilaster strips at the corners and at division of nave and chancel. Canted east window projection with hipped roof; pedimented gable to vestry. Interior. Panelled and gracefully curved west gallery on slim iron columns. It is reached by a stair- case with stick balusters. Fittings. C19 stone font with hexagonal basin on cylindrical pedestal with stiff leaf capital. C18 wooden pulpit, square- with panelled sides. Brass angel lectern of 1894. Simple classical rood screen, and communion rail, both with turned balusters. Monument. Vis- countess Ednam, 1930, by Sir W. Reid Dick; statue of a young woman carrying a child on her shoulder. Stained glass. east window depicting Jesus the good shepherd,after 1903. B.O.E. p. 147.

Listing NGR: SO8829691109

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 147

National Grid Reference: SO 88296 91109

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230776 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:33:18.

End of official listing