CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1228703
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228703.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:49:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Abbotts Ann
National Grid Reference:
SU 33043 43575

Details

3343 ABBOTTS ANN ABBOTTS ANN 10/31 Church of St. Mary The Virgin 20.12.60 I

Parish church. 1716. Brick, with stone dressings, and a slate roof. The building replaces an earlier church, and was paid for by the estate owner Thomas 'Diamond' Pitt, a former governor of Madras and father of the Earl of Chatham. The structure is of classical form, with symmetrical or regular elevations, with an aisleless nave of 4 bays, chancel, west tower incorporating the entrance, and a small Victorian vestry south of the chancel. The walls are of brickwork in Flemish bond with blue headers, and Bath stone features; weathered coping to the parapet, moulded cornice, corner pilasters, moulded plinths: plain architraves to the openings, round-headed windows and doorways with Keystones. The tower has 3 stages, separated by moulded stone bands, the top stage has a cambered head to the opening, the middle stage has a small oval window (clock face on the west) above a window with a cambered head, and the lower stage has a recessed brick panel above an opening: the west side his"the arched door- way, with moulded impost, plain pilasters and arched cornice: the south side has a rectangular (staircase) projection with a small window above a tiny door- way. The easternmost group of windows (chancel and 2 eastern bays of the nave) have been filled (C19) with traceried coupled lights, and the parapet of the tower is crenellated, with corner Gothic pinnacles. Inside, the simple classical appearance is enhanced by oak panelling, in the sanctuary and as a dado to the rest of the chancel and to the nave: the pews have doors and include a family pew: the pulpit is a panelled octagon. There are communion rails and a wood octagonal font of baluster form, with stoneware bowl and decorative wooden cover. A gallery occupies the west bay of the nave, with panelled front, 2 Tuscan columns, with pilasters against the side walls: 2 panels are lettered (one about a bequest of 1728, the other about, the church rebuilding of 1716). There are wall monuments of the late C18 and early C19 date, and inside the porch (the lowest part of the tower) is a painted Royal Coat of Arms of G II 1728: against the east wall of the nave on each side are mid C19 Prescriptions. A feature of the church is the series of Virgins' Crowns, hung from the cornice of the coved ceiling of the nave, the medieval tradition of maidens' garlands having continued into present times; the garlands are left to hang until they drop and the oldest surviving is dated 1740. This is a virtually unaltered Georgian church, complete with fittings.

Listing NGR: SU3283743570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403359
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/17030/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].