This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1227460

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Gedling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burton Joyce

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425241

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURTON JOYCE CHURCH ROAD SK 64 SW (south east side) 7/18 Church of St. Helen 13.10.66 G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15. South aisle, c.1725. Arcades rebuilt 1878 by T. H. Wyatt. Coursed rubble and dressed stone with lead, concrete tile and plain tile roofs. Moulded plinths, chamfered eaves, coped gables, 2 of them with crosses. West tower, north and south aisles, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, C13, single stage, has deep plinth, string course and to west, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 4 setoffs. To west, chamfered double lancet with Y tracery: Above, 4 restored double lancets. Above again, octagonal broach spire, C14, with 4 gabled lucarnes. Above them, 4 smaller lucarnes, finial and weathercock. North aisle, enlarged late C13, 2 bays, has 3 buttresses, that to west larger. West end has C19 double lancet with Decorated tracery and hood mould. North side has to east, C14 Decorated double lancet, restored, with hood mould and a mask stop. To its right, low side window and chamfered C13 doorway with hood mould. To right again, late C14 double lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and a mask stope East end has C13 Geometrical double lancet with hood mould and a mask stop. South aisle, 3 bays, has blank ends, each with a pair of corner buttresses. South side has a buttress. To west, C19 double lancet, C15 style, with square reveal and hood mould. To east, a similar triple lancet. Nave has coped east gable with cross and C19 quatrefoil window. Chancel, late C14 and C15, 2 bays, has chamfered sill band. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses. East end has restored C15 quadruple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. South side has off-centre buttress and 2 C15 double lancets with flamboyant tracery, square reveals, hood moulds and mask stops. Vestry has coped gable and to west, shouldered doorway. To north, C15 style triple lancet with hood mould. East side has 2 leaded casements, one mullioned. South porch, Cl9, has coped gable with crosse Moulded inner and outer south doors with hood moulds. Principal rafter roof with collars. North and south arcades, 3 bays, have round piers and responds with lobed bases and round capitals. Chamfered and rebated arches. Scissor braced roof, C19. Plain tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated. North aisle windows have patterned stained glass. East end has memorial window glass by Joseph Nuttgens, 1985. To its right, chamfered pointed hagioscope. To right again, C15 trefoil headed aumbry in square opening with hoood mould and mask stops. South aisle has easternmost window with stained glass, 1905. Both aisles have late Cl9 low pitched roofs. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, dying into north wall. North side has linenfold panelled aumbry. East end has similar panelled, traceried dado and reredos, 1922. East window has stained glass, 1888. South side has to east, C13 pointed piscina. South side windows have stained glass, late C19. Pointed wooden barrel vault with stencilled decoration. Font, C13, with plain lobed bowl on C19 base and with C19 cover. Traceried panelled skeleton pulpit, 1878, made from chancel ceiling of 1708. Late C19 wooden lectern. Carved late Cl7 armchair. Monuments include life-size effigy of Robert Jorz de Bethune, c.1400, on chest with shields. Incised cross top. C15 incised cross slab. Brass to Rev. John Gifford, 1662. Recessed alabaster tablet with damaged Latin inscription. 3 early C19 marble and slate tablets. C14 style tablet, 1853. C13 style tablet, 1862. 3 brasses, late C19. Stone War Memorial tablet with wreath, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK6477943696

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26973

National Grid Reference: SK 64780 43694

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:20:39.

End of official listing