This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1226791

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Warslow and Elkstones

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 05 NE WARSLOW AND ELKSTONES C.P. UPPER ELKSTONE

4/149 Church of St. John Baptist 1/2/67 - II*

Church. Dated 1786. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; clay tile roof with coped verges on kneelers. Oblong plan; nave and chancel in one, Round headed windows with raised key- stones; top opening glazing bar windows; single large window to right; 2 smaller windows to left _one above the other, the former lighting a gallery; central round headed board door with datestone above; Venetian East window. Squat louvred belfry with pyramidal roof to W. end. Interior: Late C18 double decker pulpit, box pews, vestry screen, alter rail and West gallery with balustraded rail. Plaque on East wall with inscription: "This Chapel / Was Built under the Care and / Inspection of William Grindon / of Stonfold, Who with the / Sum of two hundred pounds / (one hundred and forty of which / was collected by a Brief, and the Remainder by a Levy throughout the Township) / Compleated the whole in / the Year of our Lord 1788". 10 Commandment board on N. Wall; Creed board and Lord's Prayer Board above East window; Coat of arms of George III above altar.

Listing NGR: SK0564058973

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 05640 58973

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226791 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:32:35.

End of official listing