CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225983.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:15:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 96938 76732
WOODFORD CHURCH STREET (South side) Church of St. Mary
Church. Mid C12. Early and mid C13, C14, chancel reconstructed C19. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone and ironstone with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north and south porches and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3 bays; 2-window range with one 4-light, tall Perpendicular window with 4-centred head to left and one 2-light C19 window to right. Small C19 south door to centre bay. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between bays. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finials. C19 triple lancet east window. North elevation of chancel of one-window range with C19 two-light window. C19 vestry attached to right of one-window range of similar north and east window. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets and lateral ashlar stack. South aisle of 5 bays; 4-window range with three 4-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads to right and one 3-light window with segmental head to far left. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between bays and lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. 3-light Perpendicular east window and 3-light west window. Second bay from left breaks forward as a lean-to porch with attached minor transept. C14 style outer arch with roll moulding and cluster shafts. Inner doorway of similar style with trefoil head, roll moulding with leaf decoration and niche above. C14 or C15 panelled and studded door with tracery. Quadripartite rib vault. North aisle of 7 bays, 6-window range with central 2-light square-head window and flanking 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets and gargoyles at corners. 2-light west window. C14 gabled porch to right. Roll moulded inner and outer arch openings with corner shafts to inner doorway. Nave clerestory of 5-window range, probably of 2 builds with break between windows 3 and 4 to east. 2-light square-head windows, some with renewed tracery. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets. Mid C13 west tower of 3 stages with sub-division to lower stage. Shallow 2-stage angle buttresses to lower stage only. Carved face at corner apex of each pair of buttresses. Lancet to west face of this stage and similar lancet to north face of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings with one order of shafts. Trefoil frieze corbelled out with carved heads and plain parapet above. Ribbed pinnacles at corners. C14 ashiar broach spire rising behind the parapet and having 3 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 6-bay north arcade and 5-bay south arcade. North arcade of c.1200 of unmoulded round arches. Circular piers, 3 to west have leaf capitals and one to east has nailhead decoration. The 2 bays to the east originally separated the farmer chancel from the former chapels. C13 and C14 south arcade with 3 double chamfered arches with circular and octagonal piers to the west and 2 arches to east with double hollow chamfers and a circular pier. Chamfered and pointed chancel arch and similar former chancel arch and arches to former chapels at mid point of nave. Triple chamfered tower arch. Minor transept to left of south door: double. chamfered arch and quatrefoil pier built into the wall. There is a similar blocked arch to the left of the adjacent aisle window, all of which is said to be part of an aisled south transept, never completed. Some tie beams and purlins to nave and south aisle roofs are original, remainder are C19. Arched opening. combined with south west window of south aisle originally gave access to a parvis room. Arch-head tomb recess in south aisle. Piscina and triple sedilia to right of chancel altar. 3 and 4 bays of blind arcading with detached cluster shafts, to north and south walls of chancel. Organ pipes above are set in C19 arched opening. Stair turret to former rood loft has access in north east corner of south aisle. Octagonal font with central column and 5 detached shafts restored C19. C19 stone screen at chancel steps and C19 furnishings. Monuments: Sir Walter Trayli died 1290 and wife; chest tomb under 4-centred arch, to left of chancel arch, has 2 recumbent wooden figures. Charles Arbuthenot died 1850, marble tablet in south aisle. Partially legible early C19 tablet, to north wall of south aisle. Relict built into north aisle pier is said to be the embalmed heart of Roger de Kirton or Walter Trayli. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in north-east window of south aisle. Late C19 and C20 glass to chancel south-east and east windows, 2 north aisle windows and south aisle east and south-east windows. The latter 2 are probably by Kempe.
Listing NGR: SP9693876732
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing