CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1224813
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, KIRKGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224813.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:44:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, KIRKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Silsden
National Grid Reference:
SE 04152 46451

Details

SE0446 SILSDEN C.P. KIRKGATE (west side)

9/159 Church of St. James the Great

GV II

Church. c 1816, tower raised 1896 by George Jacques. Hammer- dressed stone, ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof, tile ridge, lead spire. Nave, south porch, shallow chancel and slender west tower. Simple Gothic Revival style. 3-stage tower; 1st stage has doorway with monolithic jambs approached up flight of stone steps and single chamfered light over with hood mould. West face has 2-light cusped window. 2nd stage has similar 2-light belfry with iron-grille. 3rd stage has clock set in each face and shaped parapet surmounted by needle spirelet with weather-vane. Nave has 3 bays of 2-light arched windows, coped gables with kneelers. Gabled porch to left has 2-centred arched doorway with colonnettes and hoodmould. Chancel, under lower roof-line and set back, has chamfered plinth and east window of 4-lights with quatrefoils.

Interior: single vessel with west organ gallery carried on Doric columns. 8-bay nave with arch-braced king-post roof with turned king posts. Stained glass windows. Pine pews. The church originally built 1712, is as it was altered in 1816.

N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1979) p. 484.

Listing NGR: SE0415246451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
418945
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 484

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04365/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].