CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1218133
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS, SUFFOLK STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218133.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 00:20:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS, SUFFOLK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 40389 56282

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ4056 SUFFOLK STREET 920-1/14/213 (East side) 10/11/78 Church of St Ignatius (Formerly Listed as: SUFFOLK STREET (South side) Roman Catholic Church of St Ignatius the Martyr)

II

Parish church. 1887-9. By C Hodgson Fowler and paid for by Bishop Lightfoot, Bishop of Durham; site bought with voluntary contributions from the people of Hendon. Ashlar; roof of graduated Lakeland slate with stone gable copings and stone spire. Early English style. Chancel with N vestry and meeting room and S chapel; aisled nave with SW tower. EXTERIOR: lancet windows, 3 stepped at E, 3 to N and S chancel, paired in clerestory and aisles of 5-bay nave, with sill strings continuing around buttresses defining bays except in clerestory, and dripstring to W. 4-stage tower has double boarded door in S with elaborate hinges in surround of 3 chamfers with ball-flower-stopped dripmould; paired lancets above; on W a polygonal stair turret with lancets and stone roof, and 2 lancets above; short blank third stage; paired louvred belfry openings in arcade with many shafts and blind narrow end lancets under dripstring, recessed between shallow pilasters which rise from angle buttresses to cusped corbel table; high broach spire with louvred and gabled 2-light lucarnes. W elevation has gabled left buttress; vesica above 3 tall lancets; WWI war memorial panel and cross in low relief under coping below central lancet; door and blocked overlight in W end of N aisle similar to SW tower door. Steeply-pitched roofs, gabled to S chancel chapel and pent on aisles, have stone gable copings and cross finials. INTERIOR shows 5-bay nave arcade with double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers with clasping rings and moulded capitals; king post roof. Sanctuary has full-height richly-carved reredos of 1901, with crucifix and many statues including Old Testament prophets, apostles, and Northern saints, for which models were made `by Mr. Floyce, a Frenchman and executed by Roddis of Birmingham' (booklet in church); a gift from Bishop Lightfoot; made of Bath stone. Shafted chancel arch, high and moulded, with inner arch on corbels. N chancel has organ arch at W and 2 blind arches. S Lady Chapel has crocket capitals on clustered pier and on corbels of 2 arches, rich furnishings including altar by Hicks of Hicks and Charlewood, and wrought-iron screens and communion rail. 5-bay nave has door in blocked NW bay, and arch to tower in SW. Plain wrought-iron pulpit on ashlar plinth at Bishop Lightfoot's instruction. Scheme of stained glass drawn up by Rev GF Brownie, Canon of St Paul's, London and Bishop of Bristol, includes richly coloured pictures of Anglo-Saxon saints and kings in aisles, E and W windows commemorating Bishop Lightfoot, the W with scenes from his life. Foundation stone in SW porch dated 25 October 1887. The church was provided to meet the needs of one of the most crowded areas of Sunderland. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 15-16; Carr Alwyn: St Ignatius-Hendon-1899: Sunderland: 1966-).

Listing NGR: NZ4038956282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391603
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alwyn, C, St Ignatius Hendon 1899, (1966)
Corfe, T, Milburn, G, Buildings and Beliefs, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05481/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].