CHURCH OF ST FAITH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216499
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, WHADDON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216499.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:13:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, WHADDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Longville
National Grid Reference:
SP 84774 31422

Details

SP 83 SW NEWTON LONGVILLE WHADDON ROAD

2/126 Church of St. Faith

19.8.59

- I

Parish church. C12 nave, C14 chancel, N.chapel and aisles, C15 W. tower, N. and S. porches restored 1881. Coursed rubble stone, dressed for tower, lead roofs. W. tower of 3 stages with battlemented ironstone parapet, 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, and diagonal buttresses. W. side has door in 4-centred moulded arch and restored 2-light traceried window above . Nave has battlemented parapet, and clerestory of 3 C15 2-light cusped windows with additional single lights at W. end , that to S. a quatrefoil. Aisles have plain parapets and restored C15 Decorated windows, 3-light to N.,S., and W. of S. aisle, 4-light to E. of S. aisle and 3-light with intersecting tracery to W. of N. aisle. Doors in 2-centred archways, that to S. moulded. Gabled porches have double chamfered arches. Chancel has plain parapet, 2 C15 3-light cusped windows and door in restored tudor arch with carved spandrels. 4-light E. window and one window to S. have 4-centred heads, all chancel windows have hood-moulds with carved head stops. Carved skeleton above E. window. N. chapel has similar 3-light windows, carved corbel in E. wall, and N.E. buttress with blind traceried panel.Interior: double chamfered tower arch. Nave of 2 bays has Transitional arcade of moulded arches on round piers and half-piers with moulded and carved caps. Similar chancel arch. N.arcade has hoodmould with nailhead ornament and carved head stops. E. end of nave has arched opening to S.with carved head of knight on sill. Aisles have aumbries, cusped piscinae, and stairs to N.side of rood loft. Chancel has double chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers, one with carved half-figure of angel, to N. chapel, 2 restored piscinae and fragments of C14 sedilia with finials and carved head. N.chapel has carved corbels and section of carved cornice. Nave and chancel have C15 roofs with moulded purlins and tie beams, and traceried spandrels, braced on stone corbels with carved heads. Nave roof has carved bosses and 2 painted trusses. Some original C15 and C16 moulded beams in aisle roofs. Fittings: C12 font with carved ornament on 8 columns; C17 font cover; C14 carved stone figure; C17 chest, bench and stools; C17 panelled screen with open baluster frieze to N. chapel. Other fittings and glass C19. RCHM II p 212-5

Listing NGR: SP8477531421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401714
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03428/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Newton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]gland.org.uk.