PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215781
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215781.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:29:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shipton Gorge
National Grid Reference:
SY 49806 91459

Details

SY 49 SE SHIPTON GORGE SHIPTON VILLAGE

2/244 Parish Church of St Martin 5-9-60

GV II*

Parish Church. Early C15 west Tower. Rest of the church entirely rebuilt 1862 by Hicks. West Tower, Coursed rubble-stone walls. Clay tile roof with stone gable -copings. Stone crosses at chancel gable, nave gable and porch gable. Nave, North aisle, Chancel, South porch. West Tower, two stages, plinth mouldings, strings and crenellated parapet. Large half-hexagonal newel stair on the south wall. West doorway has chamfered jambs and a triangular arch in a square head with blank shields and cleavers in the spandrels. Restored 3-light window over has trefoil-cusping and panel tracery. Hollow-chamfered jambs. 2-light bell-openings with quatrefoil heads. Nave, C19, three 2-light windows, cusped in a square head. Chancel: window of same design, East window, 3-light with panel tracery. Label with head stops. Small single light over. Diagonal buttresses at the corners. Interior: Tower-arch with a bracket moulding is modern (RCHM). 4-bay north arcade with quatrefoil piers and 4-centred arches. C19 roof of arch-braced type carried on hammer-beams. High collars. Chancel- arch, pointed with a bracket-moulding and single respond. Foliage- carved capitals. Filleted roll-mould to the soffit. 2-bay chancel with similar roof construction. North aisle roof, with its own arch-braced construction, carried on carved corbels. Fittings: Font, heptagonal bowl with simple cusped panels, 3 to a side, plain cylindrical stem, becoming heptagonal beneath the bowl. Pulpit, C19, stone, by Grassby. Half-octagonal with cusped panel- sides. Running leaf-scroll to cornice. Wall-Tablet, white marble scroll on a slate base. Sacred to the memory of Jacob Browne, died October 24th 1817, aged 70 years. RCHM Dorset I, p 221 (1). J Brocklebank: Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-1880, p 59.

Listing NGR: SY4980691459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401066
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952), 221
Brocklebank, J , Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-1880, (1979), 59

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07386/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Fenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].